Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Hi,

Some weeks ago I updated my Mac Pro 5,1 with Mojave and Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB with the Sapphire AMD Vega 56 and it works perfectly. A friend told me to do the VRAM set up for the SSD. I did it today and finally the Vega graphic card doesn't work, the ssd doesn't work either. So I changed the graphic card with an old apple ATI card, and the ssd works. I think with the VRAM Set up I erased also some configuration on the Vega 56. Do you have an idea?

best regards Eduardo

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi,

Some weeks ago I updated my Mac Pro 5,1 with Mojave and Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB with the Sapphire AMD Vega 56 and it works perfectly. A friend told me to do the VRAM set up for the SSD. I did it today and finally the Vega graphic card doesn't work, the ssd doesn't work either. So I changed the graphic card with an old apple ATI card, and the ssd works. I think with the VRAM Set up I erased also some configuration on the Vega 56. Do you have an idea?

best regards Eduardo

Sorry, have completely no idea what you mean about "VRAM set up", you better explain a bit more.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Ardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Hi,
sorry, indeed confused description:

cmd – alt – P – R

I did a PRAM / NVRAM reset, and after the restart the Mac Pro couldn't find the system. After changing the graphic card (Vega 56) with an old original Apple ATI, I could start with the installed Mojave System. But the Sapphire AMD Vega 56 doesn't start anymore.
[doublepost=1546471068][/doublepost]I have a Mac Pro 5,1, with a Samsung 970 1 TB, NVMe SSD, Sapphire AMD Vega 56. Somebody told me to do the PRAM / NVRAM reset, for a better SSD performance. I think it was a mistake, with the reset, I changed or erased something on the Vega 56.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
What you probably did was clear your startup drive parameters. You need to either boot into recovery mode and set your startup drive to the correct SSD/NVMe, or boot to another disk on your SATA buss and change the startup disk from the settings applet.

If it's something else, I have no idea.

Reactions: w1z

Ardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
What you probably did was clear your startup drive parameters. You need to either boot into recovery mode and set your startup drive to the correct SSD/NVMe, or boot to another disk on your SATA buss and change the startup disk from the settings applet.

If it's something else, I have no idea.

Thanks crjackson2134,

indeed, I put off all hard disks, only starting with the Mojave OSX and the graphic card started. Afterwards I installed all hard disks again and everything works.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.