Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
So...I have an issue when using aggregate devices over any kind of audio communications app - Google Hangouts, Skype, you name it...basically, when I want to talk to someone over the Internet, that's when the issues come up.

No matter what audio devices I use to make the aggregate device -- whether it be a USB mic or an external program like Soundplant -- it works like a charm when I'm doing a recording on my own, but once I use the aggregate device in some kind of over-the-Internet communications, at seemingly random times, I get extremely distorted, metallic reverb/feedback.

Apparently some people have this problem WITHOUT going over the Internet and doing things like choosing another device as the clock source, changing the sample rate, etc., fix the issue, but those tricks do NOT work if you're using the aggregate device in some sort of Internet chat.

Any thoughts??? I've found that it doesn't matter whether it's with my MacBook Pro running High Sierra or Mojave or my iMac running Sierra or High Sierra, no matter what devices I use, no matter whether I use built-in USB or a powered hub, the issue is there.

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
So...I have an issue when using aggregate devices over any kind of audio communications app - Google Hangouts, Skype, you name it...basically, when I want to talk to someone over the Internet, that's when the issues come up.

No matter what audio devices I use to make the aggregate device -- whether it be a USB mic or an external program like Soundplant -- it works like a charm when I'm doing a recording on my own, but once I use the aggregate device in some kind of over-the-Internet communications, at seemingly random times, I get extremely distorted, metallic reverb/feedback.

Apparently some people have this problem WITHOUT going over the Internet and doing things like choosing another device as the clock source, changing the sample rate, etc., fix the issue, but those tricks do NOT work if you're using the aggregate device in some sort of Internet chat.

Any thoughts??? I've found that it doesn't matter whether it's with my MacBook Pro running High Sierra or Mojave or my iMac running Sierra or High Sierra, no matter what devices I use, no matter whether I use built-in USB or a powered hub, the issue is there.

Can you make a bit detailed explanation about aggregated device and their orders /inputs/outputs. It may have an issue about order if it does a feedback like distortion.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I never got a good aggregate device quality and the reason is quite simple: clocks aren't synchronized. The only way I imagine getting aggregate devices working (but I haven't tested) is when you have external word clock connection between both devices. This way you can define an aggregate device by setting the master clock to one of the devices and everything will probably sync fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.