Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NC12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Just got the device and there is an area that makes a clicking/popping sound when you put even the smallest amount of pressure on it. Anyone else having this issue and should I take it back to the apple store?

LadyCiel

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
I got my 11” today and haven’t noticed anything remotely like this. I would most likely return it. Where on your iPad is it?

NC12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
I got my 11” today and haven’t noticed anything remotely like this. I would most likely return it. Where on your iPad is it?
Holding it vertically the spot is on the bottom right side

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Just got the device and there is an area that makes a clicking/popping sound when you put even the smallest amount of pressure on it. Anyone else having this issue and should I take it back to the apple store?
No, it's perfectly normal and causes absolutely no issues.

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
I definitely noticed a little bit of hollowness around the apple logo at the back of the 12.9 2021 iPad. My 2020 version felt completely dense and solid by comparison. No popping or clicking, just additional flex in certain areas.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If you notice then it's an issue so return it until you get a good one and do it while there's still stock. You didn't pay $800+ to make excuses for defects.

LadyCiel

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
Holding it vertically the spot is on the bottom right side
If you notice then it's an issue so return it until you get a good one and do it while there's still stock. You didn't pay $800+ to make excuses for defects.
That is a spot I would touch all the time, and every time I would worry it was a sign of possibly bigger problems down the line. It would drive me insane. Definitely take it back and ask for a replacement. Hell, I just arranged to exchange a pencil 2 that came with a small bend in it. Support’s reaction was basically “yep, don’t like that. Let us replace that for you…”

Sk7walker

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
Hello, was your issue resolved by apple? Have they replaced your ipad? Mine is doing something similar as it makes a faint pop whenever i flex the area around the smart connector near the charging port, the sound is almost certainly coming from the smart connector, does yours feel the same? Thanks in advance :)

NC12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Hello, was your issue resolved by apple? Have they replaced your ipad? Mine is doing something similar as it makes a faint pop whenever i flex the area around the smart connector near the charging port, the sound is almost certainly coming from the smart connector, does yours feel the same? Thanks in advance :)
Yeah I sent it back on day 1 and they sent a replacement right away

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.