Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swifty_400

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Heya,

I have a few questions for airpod owners that can give me real world answers to a few questions (Nothing too hard I promise).

• Are they the same fit as normal Apple EarPods?
  • Do you need to plug both headphones in to take a call? Or can you put one in your ear?
  • How is the battery when they're just sitting in your ear without any music playing?
  • Does one side die before the other? What do you do?
  • Coming into your office, is it easy to swap between iphone and mac or do you need to stuff around with bluetooth each time?
Thanks heaps!

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
- No and yes
- I get 4-5 hours playing music
- one can die before the other
- very. I usually take them out and put them in the charger when I get into the office. Set up, use the bathroom, get coffee, sit at my desk and think of 50 other places I would rather be, drink some coffee and mentally prepare as I log on.
If they don’t sync with you them manually. Sync them with windows is easy too.

Reactions: Swifty_400

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hey. Answers in red. :D

Heya,

I have a few questions for airpod owners that can give me real world answers to a few questions (Nothing too hard I promise).

• Are they the same fit as normal Apple EarPods? For most people, yes. For the next highest group, Airpods fit better than Earpods. For an unfortunate minority, Airpods fit worse than Earpods.
  • Do you need to plug both headphones in to take a call? Or can you put one in your ear? No. One Airpod only.
  • How is the battery when they're just sitting in your ear without any music playing? The microphone is constantly triggered (you can hear a soft 'click' when it detects your voice), so there's battery draw, but it's minimal. Batteries are very efficient & quick charge brilliantly, even after 14 months use for me.
  • Does one side die before the other? What do you do? Yeah one is usually slightly flatter. You just pop that one in the charger for 10-15 minutes (75-95% charge from ~10%) & continue using the other. Then swap them over. So in 20-30 minutes, both will have >70% charge).
  • Coming into your office, is it easy to swap between iphone and mac or do you need to stuff around with bluetooth each time? I don't have a Mac. But switching between iPhone & iPad is easy - Either (a) 3D Touch Settings>Bluetooth>Airpods or (b-faster method) access Control Centre>Tap top-right of Music Player>Airpods (for IOS devices). Youtube vids show Airpods selection on Macs to be pretty simple also.
Thanks heaps!

Reactions: Swifty_400

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
-AirPods seem to work a little better than EarPods for me. EarPods would frequently fall out of my ear but my AirPods stay in about 90% of the time. The other 10%, I can feel that they’re not in snuggly and a quick twist fixes that. As far as I can tell, they’re the same size but my guess is that they work better than EarPods becuase they don’t have tension from the cords.

-One ear works. I almost always use one at a time to preserve battery. I use mine for work calls for a few hours a day. What’s cool is that you can seamless switch between the two by putting the second one in your ear, waiting for the audio to pick up and taking the first one out. It hands everything off very quickly. If you’re using one AirPod and remove it, audio immediately switches to your phone.

-I haven’t actively measured this, but it appears to be negligible....maybe a few % an hour.

-I typically don’t drain them down that far (I usually use one at a time and switch frequently) so I’m not sure.

-I don’t have a Mac, but I do have an Apple TV. You have to go into settings and connect the device. Maybe there’s a quicker way to do it that I’m not aware of, but it seems neither more or less convenient than pairing a normal Bluetooth device.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
-AirPods feel loose, but I have yet to have one fall out of my ear, even when out walking the dogs, yard work, exercise bike or other moderate level of activity. I don't run with them.

-What others have said.........Plus, I use just one for driving, as a safety factor as well as to preserve battery life. Handoff is truly amazing, and as close to seamless as possible.

-When driving, I just leave the one side in so that there is no fumbling around when I make or receive a call.

-I can't be sure, but it almost seems intentional that one side will die a few minutes prior to the other one. Even if it just happens, it is nice to have a few minutes left to end the phone call or switch over to the physical phone or car phone. With podcasts or music, it doesn't matter so much.

-I am a daily Mac user, both MBP and iMac. You don't have to do anything but pull down the bluetooth symbol from the menu at the top; hit AirPods; hit connect. Instantaneous. Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.