Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will You Get the AirPods?

• No, I already have nice headphones/earphones

• No, I want them but they are too expensive

• No, I'm not interested in them at all

• No, how dumb does Apple think I am?

• No, because I will lose them easily

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

derpmcturd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
I think I heard something like they will SHIP mid-October but then when would the pre-orders for them have a chance of opening up?
I don't even know why I want them but I'll definitely be keeping the receipt in a safe place, unless I lose the devices first (which is highly likely).

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I haven't done much research on them. I've read that they have some convenience features sure as tapping to take calls and they turn off automatically when you take both of them out of your ears. What I don't know if if they had sound isolation and/or noise cancellation , and which iphones that they are compatible with.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
and which iphones that they are compatible with.
. Compatible with any iOS 10 device. I went to the AirPod page in the Apple Store app and it said it was compatible with all my existing iOS devices (5s, 6, iPad Pro).

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I want to know more about these. If I pop open the case next to my watch, will it connect there? My iPad or my iPhone? Will it go for the watch everytime since I am wearing the watch?

Sometimes I would like the connected to my iPad, most of the time my iPhone and some few times the Watch if I go out running. Especially if I do go and buy the new Watch with GPS, then I can skip the phone during runs.

Will battery for the AirPods and the case show up in the Battery widget so I will know when to recharge them or the case?

Will they use my AppleID? So if someone steals them or I loose them I can live happily knowing someone can't use them?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
All great questions, would love to know that too. Don't think any of that information is available yet though. Didn't read anything specific from hands-on reviews either, other than info that's already on Apple's page.

I want to know more about these. If I pop open the case next to my watch, will it connect there? My iPad or my iPhone? Will it go for the watch everytime since I am wearing the watch?
In the Keynote they said it switches to the device you start playing audio on. Which could be problematic if you have them paired to both your phone and Mac, but you don't want your Mac to use the AirPods if you just want to use regular speakers. But I'm pretty sure they have thought about those scenarios.

Will battery for the AirPods and the case show up in the Battery widget so I will know when to recharge them or the case?
No source on this, but I can't imagine they won't. As far as I know any BT device that's paired to your phone shows up there with their battery status.

Will they use my AppleID? So if someone steals them or I loose them I can live happily knowing someone can't use them?
That would be great, but tricky. They can't authenticate every time you want to use them. There doesn't necessarily need to be an internet connection on the device you're pairing them to using BT. But maybe if you mark them as lost (in iCloud or wherever), the first time they connect to the internet again you need to unlock them on one of your known devices. But it's only a partial solution.

About stealing: I don't think it's a bigger problem than most other BT earphones/headphones though. If you have the ones that are connected with a single wire that runs around your neck, it's even easier to just grab the wire, yank them out of someones ears, and run off. High-end Beats? Easy to grab, go and resell for a good price.

If they fall out when you're using them, you'll know. If you lose them in your house or wherever, just take better care of your stuff. No different than other small items, like your keys. But I bet most people will keep them in the charger anyway, so they're together and in a nice box that's less likely to get lost.

Reactions: bhayes444

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
This only comes down to sound quality for me. If they sound like stock ear buds, which its sounds like they do, then no. If they have premium sound. Then possibly.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
This only comes down to sound quality for me. If they sound like stock ear buds, which its sounds like they do, then no. If they have premium sound. Then possibly.
I have a feeling the sound will be better than stock earbuds, but probably not at the premium level. Based on the tech that's in them, I would hope they at least sound similar to a pair of $60 earphones; leaving that new tech to account for the extra $99 in their asking price.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
Will the Beats X function the same as the Airpods using Siri?

Not sure, but they use the W1 chip and pair the same way.
[doublepost=1473689531][/doublepost]
It's a safer design no doubt. Nothing controversial.
Definitely, personally the black BeatsX are more my styles than the Airpods and they look to be harder to lose/better for workouts. The Airpods are definitely cool though.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I plan to get the Beats X headphones. I'm a bit concerned about the wireless range. I haven't seen this info posted anywhere fro the Apple Airpods or for the Beats X. Does anyone know about the range?

Also, this W1 chip. How often do you guys think it will be updated? I know no-one 100% knows since this is the first model. I am assuming the chip has to do with pairing only. Is this correct? I'd hate to buy (another) product that has a chip that updates every year gets outdated very quickly. Headphones/Earphones isn't as easy to flip as a iPhone.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Does anyone know what the deal is with the iCloud requirement for pairing? I'm assuming it's so that you can switch back and forth between multiple devices without having to un-pair from the first device, i.e the Beats X appear simultaneously on multiple devices in the "Playing On" field in the control center and selecting it from one device un-pairs the headphones from the last device they were paired with - anyone know if I'm getting this right? This is just an assumption I've made based on the descriptions on the product pages but I haven't found anything on this myself. Any insight would be appreciated!

I agree though that the Beats X seem pretty compelling. I generally don't do well in in-ear headphones, but the ones I can tolerate are usually the ones shaped like the Beats X as opposed to the earpods/Air Pods. It might be nice to have a pair of headphones more compact than my Solos for my commute. I'll also be interested to see how the sound quality is.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Does anyone know what the deal is with the iCloud requirement for pairing? I'm assuming it's so that you can switch back and forth between multiple devices without having to un-pair from the first device, i.e the Beats X appear simultaneously on multiple devices in the "Playing On" field in the control center and selecting it from one device un-pairs the headphones from the last device they were paired with - anyone know if I'm getting this right? This is just an assumption I've made based on the descriptions on the product pages but I haven't found anything on this myself. Any insight would be appreciated!

Yes, it's for "automatic pairing". No button to select. You just play music from devices in your iCloud account and it will know.
One thing I'm not clear about Beats though. AirPods has sensor to detect whether you're wearing it or not. Will the new Beats have it? If not, then how will it know you're wearing it and push the music through headphone instead of the phone speakers?

Reactions: boston04and07

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Yes, it's for "automatic pairing". No button to select. You just play music from devices in your iCloud account and it will know.
One thing I'm not clear about Beats though. AirPods has sensor to detect whether you're wearing it or not. Will the new Beats have it? If not, then how will it know you're wearing it and push the music through headphone instead of the phone speakers?

Awesome, that's really good to know. Honestly that automatic pairing alone might induce me to upgrade...that sounds really convenient.

As for your question, I have no idea, but would love to know the answer too...

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
You will turn the Beats on. That is how it knows you're intending to use it or not.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Ah,.. Thanks. So there's a button to turn on/off on headphone instead of sensor.
I would imagine so, since they didn't mention anything about sensors on the new Beats headphones. They do mention have controls on the BeatsX headphones, so I would imagine a button to turn them on is present.

Reactions: matrix07

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I would imagine so, since they didn't mention anything about sensors on the new Beats headphones. They do mention have controls on the BeatsX headphones, so I would imagine a button to turn them on is present.

Looking at pictures of the headphones, it looks like there is a power button on there. There appear to be three things on the wire that connects the two headphones - the remote/mic, a spot of plastic where the lightning cable goes in for charging, and opposite of that, an identical looking spot but with a button instead of the lightning input. Just by looking at pictures I'm assuming it's probably a power button, but I'm not totally sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.