Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RowlandPym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Just had the occurrence to use AirDrop for the first time. After battling to get it in Finder on my MacBook Air, I couldn't get it activated so that other Macs could see it. Can anyone help please.

kritisharma

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
India
1. Go to Finder and choose "Go" in the menu bar.

2. Choose "AirDrop" on the left side of the window.

3. Turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your Mac if you haven't turned them on.

4. You can set the "Allow me to be discovered by" option as "Everyone" or "Contacts Only".

5. After you have turned on AirDrop on Mac, drag the items you want to share to the recipient's image appeared in the AirDrop window and click "Send". (Or you can choose items, tap on the Share button, choose "AirDrop", select the recipient and click "Done" to transfer data to another AirDrop-supported device.)

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
when you do ever get it to work, you will be able to see a lot of other Air Drop connections to others.
all of the people you see in Air Drop have set their preference to "Everyone".
but if you have set yours as "Contacts Only", they won't see you (unless they have you in their contacts)
if you are concerned about Privacy, best to set it to "Contacts Only" for a usual setting.

RowlandPym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
1. Go to Finder and choose "Go" in the menu bar.

2. Choose "AirDrop" on the left side of the window.

3. Turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your Mac if you haven't turned them on.

4. You can set the "Allow me to be discovered by" option as "Everyone" or "Contacts Only".

5. After you have turned on AirDrop on Mac, drag the items you want to share to the recipient's image appeared in the AirDrop window and click "Send". (Or you can choose items, tap on the Share button, choose "AirDrop", select the recipient and click "Done" to transfer data to another AirDrop-supported device.)

Thank you for your response. However, I cannot find option "Allow me to be discovered by ..." I just get a blank Airdrop window with no further options displayed. Anything I should do further/

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
AirDrop is only supported on Macs since 2012, so your 2011 iMac is just under the cut unfortunately.

It used to be for Macs from 2009 and later. They conveniently pushed it up a couple years with newer OS’s...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.