Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I am working on a MacBook Pro 15" 2016 Touch Bar. Running High Sierra on 10.13.6. Connected via a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 cable to my LG ultra wide monitor (34UM88-P).

I work in an office with 3 other Macs and whenever they try to airdrop something either to me or another person my monitor just disconnects! It goes black and i have to either replug my computer or turn on and off my monitor.

It seems crazy to me but I can reproduce this problem and I just don't know what the solution might be...

Can anyone help?!?!

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
How large are the files?
Are you on the same network?
If they are small enough, and same wifi, I would check in system preferences, file sharing and make sure the monitor sharing is off.

This is strange tho, are their macs experiencing this airdrop problem as well?

slicktor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
How large are the files?
Are you on the same network?
If they are small enough, and same wifi, I would check in system preferences, file sharing and make sure the monitor sharing is off.

This is strange tho, are their macs experiencing this airdrop problem as well?

It starts happening even before they send the file. They just open airdrop in finder and when it's searching my monitor shuts off or starts turning on and off.

They are on iMacs.

Did some more trouble shooting and i am not affected when there are only two computer (including mine) on. So only when 3 computers are on and we initiate air drop my monitor disconnects from my MacBook.

We feel like maybe there is a spike in power use when airdrop is initiated? and causes my computer to disconnect from my monitor??

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
The monitor set up are at fault, obviously there is overload.
Did you check monitor sharing?
Also set airdrop to contacts only
.and
Tell Heidi I said hello!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.