Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertpatryk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Łódź
Hi,

since Catalina I'm having a problem with sharing thing from my iPhone or iPad to my MacBook Pro via AirDrop.
My MacBook's Pro name is just "MacBook Pro" as I have changed it from "MacBook Pro (Robert)" right after installing a fresh version of Catalina, but my other devices keep showing me two of my MacBook, when using AirDrop.
Is there any fix to this?
All my devices are logged to the same iCloud account. Also when I access a list of my devices in Settings - iCloud, I see a proper name of my laptop.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,669
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 916

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Hi,

since Catalina I'm having a problem with sharing thing from my iPhone or iPad to my MacBook Pro via AirDrop.
My MacBook's Pro name is just "MacBook Pro" as I have changed it from "MacBook Pro (Robert)" right after installing a fresh version of Catalina, but my other devices keep showing me two of my MacBook, when using AirDrop.
Is there any fix to this?
All my devices are logged to the same iCloud account. Also when I access a list of my devices in Settings - iCloud, I see a proper name of my laptop.

since there is only 1 MacBook Pro (i assume) i would do these things:
1 go to Sharing and change the name to some temporary name other than what you have used before
2 go to Users & Groups and change the graphic associated with the temporary name you have used
3 boot and confirm there is only 1 MacBook Pro but this time with the temp name.
(the temporarily chosen graphic will not be seen in Air Drop as there is still a bug that can only share a generic MacBook Pro still.)
as well, check to make sure that the Contact card for you is exactly the same on both the iPhone and Mac.
best way to ensure this is to actually use Air Drop yourself the exact same iPhone contact you have identified as yours and tell Contacts on the mac to use that as your contact.
4 this time check Air Drop with Contacts only and see if there are still two graphics
then if you prefer, check Air Drop with Everyone
5 later change to graphic you want and name you want.

above is how i fixed such problems i had (albeit it with the previous macOS).

robertpatryk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Łódź
since there is only 1 MacBook Pro (i assume) i would do these things:
1 go to Sharing and change the name to some temporary name other than what you have used before
2 go to Users & Groups and change the graphic associated with the temporary name you have used
3 boot and confirm there is only 1 MacBook Pro but this time with the temp name.
(the temporarily chosen graphic will not be seen in Air Drop as there is still a bug that can only share a generic MacBook Pro still.)
as well, check to make sure that the Contact card for you is exactly the same on both the iPhone and Mac.
best way to ensure this is to actually use Air Drop yourself the exact same iPhone contact you have identified as yours and tell Contacts on the mac to use that as your contact.
4 this time check Air Drop with Contacts only and see if there are still two graphics
then if you prefer, check Air Drop with Everyone
5 later change to graphic you want and name you want.

above is how i fixed such problems i had (albeit it with the previous macOS).

Ok, I've done all those things and what I discovered:
unfortunately your way did not work, but after changing my MacBook's name to "MacBook Pro (Robert)" it is now working correctly.
But when I change this to another random name, my Mac is seen as two devices.
Weird.

I hope there is a fix, I don't like those default names and I don't feel like reinstalling everything new ;-)

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
likely that the old name is kind of share sheet remnant.
i would imagine changing the name to whatever you want will is the best way and the older name will eventually no longer remain the server as a recent one.
but do whatever you want.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I didn't know a hostname could have brackets in it. How are you changing the Macbook name? Using sys prefs / sharing / computer name?

What does "hostname" in the terminal show?

robertpatryk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Łódź
likely that the old name is kind of share sheet remnant.
i would imagine changing the name to whatever you want will is the best way and the older name will eventually no longer remain the server as a recent one.
but do whatever you want.
It doesn’t help. When I change the name, it shows an old name + the new name.

I didn't know a hostname could have brackets in it. How are you changing the Macbook name? Using sys prefs / sharing / computer name?

What does "hostname" in the terminal show?
When I set up a device as new, it always has a name like [device]+[owner‘s name]. I guess it depends on a country you live in.
And yes - Settings/Sharing/Computer name

Fmaukar

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2020
Indonesia
It doesn’t help. When I change the name, it shows an old name + the new name.

When I set up a device as new, it always has a name like [device]+[owner‘s name]. I guess it depends on a country you live in.
And yes - Settings/Sharing/Computer name

Hi Robert,

have you found solution for this doubled display? Because I'm currently having it too. Thank you for sharing.

sfugle

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
I had this problem also. When going to airdrop from my iPhone to my MacBook, the MacBook showed up twice, with two different names. This is what fixed it.

On IPHONE

1. Settings/General/Airdrop/Switch to Receiving Off

then

2. Settings/General/Reset/Reset network settings, the phone will reboot, and you will need to reenter your wifi password/s the the phone comes back up.

3. Settings/General/Airdrop/Switch to Everyone or Contacts Only.

4. Airdrop now only displays 1 MacBook name.

Spudboy2014

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2014
I had this problem also. When going to airdrop from my iPhone to my MacBook, the MacBook showed up twice, with two different names. This is what fixed it.

On IPHONE

then

2. Settings/General/Reset/Reset network settings, the phone will reboot, and you will need to reenter your wifi password/s the the phone comes back up.

Thanks, worked like a charm.

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
YES!

On IPHONE

then

YES! 1000%

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002

On IPHONE

then

Just had this problem too on a new mini M1 and this worked for me too. thx! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.