Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrTennessean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Great to see Airplay 2 finally launched today!

Anyone else getting some pretty noticeable latency between airplay speakers? I'm using a Homepod and Apple TV? Any thoughts on a workaround or fix?

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
How is your Apple TV audio hooked up? Is it going thru a receiver? or directly to the TV? If a receiver, it's possible your receiver audio processing is introducing a delay that Apple cannot account for. You might need to select a mode on your receiver something like "Direct Stereo" where it does not process the audio at all, and see if the delay goes away.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Lag on airplay is shocking makes me not wanna use it my pioneer amp is instant but homepod isnt

KrispE00

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2016
I have about 1/2 sec delay between HomePod and Apple TV 4K hooked directly to the TV. It’s just as I suspected would happen. There needs to be a manual individual delay setting for each speaker.

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
I was actually surprised that my HomePod and AppleTV via Samsung home-theatre-in-a-box system played perfectly in sync, and obviously so given that they are just on opposite sides of the same large room.
Now I just need to win the lottery to get HomePods for every other room in my house...

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
What? Apple shills were out in force claiming this latency issue would be solved, automagically, and HPs playing in widely separated locations would be synced. Perhaps it only works for a 100% HP setup?

KrispE00

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2016
What? Apple shills were out in force claiming this latency issue would be solved, automagically, and HPs playing in widely separated locations would be synced. Perhaps it only works for a 100% HP setup?

Yes, unfortunately, I think this only works for a HomePod-only setup. I don’t know a lot about AV setups, but I believe there are too many variables after the Apple TV outputs the audio via HDMI. I would assume the length of the HDMI cable to the TV/receiver, and the speed at which the TV/receiver can process and output the signal can cause small delays. I was hoping for a setup like Airfoil.

Reactions: mxmgodin

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
Yes, unfortunately, I think this only works for a HomePod-only setup. I don’t know a lot about AV setups, but I believe there are too many variables after the Apple TV outputs the audio via HDMI. I would assume the length of the HDMI cable to the TV/receiver, and the speed at which the TV/receiver can process and output the signal can cause small delays. I was hoping for a setup like Airfoil.

To be clear, I expected latency (because of the variables of a receiver/speaker-system) but I personally had no latency between my HomePod and my Apple TV setup (into receiver surround sound system).
This gives me some hope, but the reports from people experiencing latency worries me as I had hoped to add non-HomePod speakers to other rooms and would like to believe that the AirPlay 2 protocol can (somehow magically) account for differences from speaker/system to speaker/system. I guess we'll see how this shapes up as speakers are released/updated. I try to keep expectations realistic; reminding myself that this is all new and (hopefully) has room for improvement.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I have a bit of latency between HomePod in kitchen and ATV 4K (hardwired to powered AE5+ speakers) in living room. If I stand in a certain spot betweeen the kitchen and living room there is a slight difference (most noticeable when there are lyrics) and a bit of an echo. This is a bit disappointing and I’m hoping a future update can fix.

Bdub12

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Fredericton NB Canada
I have two apple TVs 4th gens with speakers:

One feeds the patio speakers, and I can hear NO latency between those speakers and the kitchen HomePods when I open the window to the patio.

My other Apple TV is connected to a Sonos Playbar. I expected latency there because Sonos apparently introduces latency with the line-in. Surprisingly, when I stand in the doorway between the kitchen and the den, there is almost no latency - no echo with vocals, no differences in the beat at all. Your brain tells you it's not 100%, but it's way better than I expected. If I leave this at a reasonable volume, you'd never know there was a difference walking room to room.

No latency between the stereo pair of HomePods in the kitchen and the one in the bedroom.

Reactions: Alhagar

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Is anyone getting latency on multiple speakers when AirPlaying from non-Music sources? If I AirPlay something in my music library, everything syncs perfectly, but if I AirPlay a podcast from an app like Overcast the latency can be as bad as a couple of seconds. Restarting my phone fixes it briefly, but the issue resumes a few hours later.

zea

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
To be clear, I expected latency (because of the variables of a receiver/speaker-system) but I personally had no latency between my HomePod and my Apple TV setup (into receiver surround sound system).
This gives me some hope, but the reports from people experiencing latency worries me as I had hoped to add non-HomePod speakers to other rooms and would like to believe that the AirPlay 2 protocol can (somehow magically) account for differences from speaker/system to speaker/system. I guess we'll see how this shapes up as speakers are released/updated. I try to keep expectations realistic; reminding myself that this is all new and (hopefully) has room for improvement.

Yeah, same here. I have the same music playing through my home surround sound system with the Apple TV, and the same audio playing through two separate HomePods and they are all in sync perfectly. Sounds amazing. This is testing with an open concept living and dining room, one HomePod in each, and the home theater setup technically in the living room area. I’m too am curious as to how non-HomPod/Apple TV systems would work.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
HomePod and my Apple TV 4K (plumbed into my Sony soundbar and wireless surrounds) play 100% in sync.

Maybe it’s latency to the speakers through the ARC channel if you have it setup like that?

MrTennessean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Ok so little update. Multi room function with Airplay 2 still suffers with terrible latency, however, using airfoil on my Mac is playing perfectly synced. Suggest it’s not a hardware or setup issue?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So AirPlay 2 is the same as AirPlay in terms of delay when streaming? That's disappointing. I thought one of the key changes with AirPlay 2 over AirPlay, other than enabling multi-room streaming, was that it would stream/play instantly to the source without having a .5 second delay. You would figure since Sonos has been doing it for so long that Apple would be able to tweak AirPlay 2 so that it would play instantly regardless of source/output hardware.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Is anyone getting latency on multiple speakers when AirPlaying from non-Music sources? If I AirPlay something in my music library, everything syncs perfectly, but if I AirPlay a podcast from an app like Overcast the latency can be as bad as a couple of seconds. Restarting my phone fixes it briefly, but the issue resumes a few hours later.

I can answer my own question, haha.

I’ve done more reading on the issue, and apps need to be updated for AirPlay 2. They will work with multiple speakers without an update, but they may experience latency. Updating the app to use the new AirPlay 2 frameworks gives the speakers a bigger audio buffer to prevent latency and also allows for faster start times when selecting speakers.

The frameworks are in 11.4, so no third-party apps are most likely using them yet unless they released an update this week. I confirmed Overcast is working on an update with no ETA.

MrTennessean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Having experimented a bit more, the problem only exists when using Apple Music on the iPhone or through Siri on the Homepod. So for instance, if I send music from the iOS Spotify app everything is perfectly in sync. Does this sound like an issue with how both the HP and ATV are set up in the Home App?

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Is it possible to hook up an Apple TV 4/4K to non-powered speakers? I’d like to wire my outdoor speakers directly to the Apple TV to Aiplay 2 outdoors..is this possible?

darrenf1

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
South Jersey
Is it possible to hook up an Apple TV 4/4K to non-powered speakers? I’d like to wire my outdoor speakers directly to the Apple TV to Aiplay 2 outdoors..is this possible?

It is completely possible, but won’t give you any appreciable volume.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
This is occurring with me as well. I can play from my Apple TV + soundbar and home pod but the dialogue is out of sync.
Fortunately I don't watch TV on the TV much anymore.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
It is completely possible, but won’t give you any appreciable volume.
Can you expand on that? How would I wire the speaker wire into thte apple tv? I'm assuming I would need some sort of bridge device. Not looking to use a full fledged a/v receiver for this tho. Do they make a device that would sit between the ATV4 and my passive speakers where I could plug the hdmi of the ATV4 into and hook up the passive speakers to thus delivering powered sound?

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
You simply can’t get any more power than you would expect to get to headphones doing this. Personally, I would use an AirPort Express and connect to the 3.5mm line out.

Reactions: bgro

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
You simply can’t get any more power than you would expect to get to headphones doing this. Personally, I would use an AirPort Express and connect to the 3.5mm line out.
Thanks unforntunately that wouldn’t enable Airplay 2 (I think) which is what I’m looking for

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Airplay 2 is definitely the culprit here. I can play to multiple speakers via iTunes and everything syncs perfectly. Play to the same speakers via airplay and nothing is synced up. Same network, same equipment; only the source is different.
[doublepost=1529002557][/doublepost]

Well, the 4k doesn't have any audio out, so unless you've got an HDMI port on your speakers, you aren't connecting them directly. Non-powered speakers require an amplifier, so you'll have to go through that. If you have an older amplifier without HDMI, then you'll have to go AppleTV HDMI Out > TV > TV Audio Out > Amplifier > Speakers

Reactions: bgro

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've been using multi-room AirPlay for a few years now, going from iTunes on my Mac to an AirPort Express in one room and an ATV 4th Gen in another. Sound has always been in sync among all three sets of speakers (including my Mac itself).

Until now. With Airplay 2, I'm now hearing a disturbing bit of latency on the one device that is showing as an AirPlay 2 enabled target: the Apple TV.

Wish I could roll back to AirPlay 1, because it was working perfectly.

Reactions: Alhagar and LiveM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.