Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
I’m new to AirPods, and have had the AirPod Pro 2 a week. I use YouTube a lot for videos and music and I’m having issues frequently.

The videos stop playing randomly, and to fix it I have to change the audio output to iPhone, and skip back 10 seconds and then toggle back to AirPods.

Less frequently the skip button on adverts doesn’t work, it just stays at ”skip in 5 seconds” throughout the entire advert.

This video stopping playing only happens on my iPhone 12, it doesn’t happen with YouTube on my iPad, or with any other app. The advert thing happens on both.

Is there any fix for this, I use YouTube a lot, so can’t really live with this issue.

Last edited:

Lotuskid

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
I’m new to AirPods, and have had the AirPod Pro 2 a week. I use YouTube a lot for videos and music and I’m having issues frequently.

The videos stop playing randomly, and to fix it I have to change the audio output to iPhone, and skip back 10 seconds and then toggle back to AirPods.

Less frequently the skip button on adverts doesn’t work, it just stays at ”skip in 5 seconds” throughout the entire advert.

This video stopping playing only happens on my iPhone 12, it doesn’t happen with YouTube on my iPad, or with any other app. The advert thing happens on both.

Is there any fix for this, I use YouTube a lot, so can’t really live with this issue.
Similar behavior on my AirPods. I bought a second pair on the chance it’s hardware related but second pair is the same

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020

Are you on iOS 16.2?

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
I’ve been having the same issue… so far it’s happening only with the YouTube app, my other streaming services seem to be fine.

Heaven forbid I try to fast forward the video just stops. I suspect the app is due for an update.

Reactions: Lotuskid

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
I’ve been having the same issue… so far it’s happening only with the YouTube app, my other streaming services seem to be fine.

Heaven forbid I try to fast forward the video just stops. I suspect the app is due for an update.
Do you think it will be fixed with an update, I only have a few days left to return the AirPods?

Lotuskid

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010

Give the Netflix app a shot I think I had it a few times with Netflix as well. I did it as a test a I don’t usually watch Netflix in my phone, it’s mostly YouTube. But it may be an issue with these apps video players in general

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
This is happening to me too, if I use head tracking it gets even weirder as sometimes when the video starts the channels are somehow mixed and it sounds really strange. What helped is disabling follow iPhone and follow iPad under AirPods accessibility settings. I hope they release a fix soon.

MichaPh

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
I also have the same issue with my AirPods Pro 2 and freezing YouTube videos. I workaround it by fast forwarding, but it actually starts before where it stopped. I have tried resetting the airpods and downloaded the latest version of Youtube without any luck.

I have found this thread on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/xnl7zi where some users has had a successful workaround by turning of Adaptive Transparency and/or Spatial Audio.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
I also have the same issue with my AirPods Pro 2 and freezing YouTube videos. I workaround it by fast forwarding, but it actually starts before where it stopped. I have tried resetting the airpods and downloaded the latest version of Youtube without any luck.

I have found this thread on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/xnl7zi where some users has had a successful workaround by turning of Adaptive Transparency and/or Spatial Audio.
That would make sense as my iPad doesn’t support spatial audio. Will give it a try when I can, and report back. Thanks.

Lotuskid

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
Good news everyone. I turned spatial to fixed, and I’ve had no issues so far. Thanks.
Been mucking about on YouTube for half hour or so with special audio set to fixed… and so far no issues. You may have found the culprit!

Now waiting for the fix

Vipul Prakash

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
Hi,
I want to report an issue with the second Gen Airpods pro 2 . I hope this is the correct medium to inform about the issue many users are experiencing with their Airpods pro 2nd gen.

Device- Apple Airpods pro 2
Pairing Device-iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB
Firmware Airpods- 5A377
ios Ver - 16.0.2

Issue 1-
Facing glitching/crackling/stuttering sound in your AirPods pro 2 when skipping Youtube App videos (by double tapping) by a few seconds forward and the stuttering/flickering/crackling thing happens for 2-3 seconds. Did a hard reset on air pods pro 2, still facing this also reinstalled the YT app, and still facing the same. Not facing any seamless audio.

Issue 2 -
Youtube app videos freeze while the audio continues to play while connected to Airpods Pro 2. The video counter pauses alongside the video but the audio continues to play and after some time it stops altogether

Issue 3-
Apple music app while forwarding the track by a few seconds there is a glitch/break interruption in the audio while connected to my Airpods gen 2.

Issue 4-
The call gets disconnected abruptly with glitch sounds sometimes

Many other users are facing the same issue and have reported this on reddit, apple community forums, Youtube etc.

Reports by other users:
Reddit post Link 1
Apple forum thread
Youtube video link

The Airpods work perfectly fine on the Spotify app, playing youtube from the browser on my iphone, or connecting it to an android device
When I connect my wired earphones or other bluetooth headphones/earbuds with my iphone 13 pro max I don’t see the same issue happening and the sound is smooth even while skipping/forwarding to a point in video/audio in both the Youtube app or Apple Music.

Steps were taken which failed--------
1. Hard Reset.
2. Installed/Uninstalled Youtube App and Youtube Music App.
3. Reinstalling Apple Music App.
4. Updated Youtube App.

Lately, the number of users who are reporting this is increasing. I don't know if 9to5 Mac or Apple has acknowledged the issue. Hope there is a solution soon as it has become an irritating and really bad experience.

Thanks

Update: Turning off Spatial Audio/ Setting it to fixed has not fixed the issue for me.

Last edited:

Vipul Prakash

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022

facing the same with glitchy sound on Youtube app

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
This was happening to me on my AirPods Pro 1 a few days before I got the 2nd gen. It happens on both as far as I can tell.

MichaPh

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
This was happening to me on my AirPods Pro 1 a few days before I got the 2nd gen. It happens on both as far as I can tell.
I did not have it on AirPods Pro 1, but on the AirPods Pro 2. BUT since a few days the problem is almost gone. Youtube has been putting out almost daily updates and maybe the have helped.

Vipul Prakash

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
I did not have it on AirPods Pro 1, but on the AirPods Pro 2. BUT since a few days the problem is almost gone. Youtube has been putting out almost daily updates and maybe the have helped.
Report the issue to the Airpods team here for the youtube App issue and if you are also facing an Apple music sound glitch issue on skipping the audio while playing a song by a few seconds while Spatial audio is head tracked.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/

vicary

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2022
Turning spatial audio to fixed did fix the issue, this has been bugging me so much.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
same watching YouTube on macOS does this, with AirPods Max it doesn't they need to fix these

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.