Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
Since using the Airpod Pros this week and on calls people have been commenting on how they are having a hard time hearing me. This is something that never happened with my regular AirPods. From what I can gather it sounds like the external noise cancellation or noise reduction algorithm is getting confused with the noise outside and my voice and effectively cutting out or reducing my voice and boosting the background noise.
Are others running into this problem? The common complaint I’m getting when talking on the phone with the Airpod Pro is that the background noise is too loud.

Reactions: Arnkri

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Same here too. I can't hear my husband at all when he calls me using his Pro's

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Just finished an incoming call -great crystal clear sound at both ends. Did not have pose cancellation or transparency modes on Much clearer than with iPhone 11 Pro only Very pleases overall
Only thing while they are connected on opening case the icons don’t show on phone screen now they did first time but in Bluetooth they show ok

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I've had a few calls & people seem to hear me fine - no different to the original AirPods.

One recipient (whilst I was outside, in low-medium environment sounds) mentioned that I sounded good in Transparency Mode, but that things improved with NC on.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Just finished an incoming call -great crystal clear sound at both ends. Did not have pose cancellation or transparency modes on Much clearer than with iPhone 11 Pro only Very pleases overall
Only thing while they are connected on opening case the icons don’t show on phone screen now they did first time but in Bluetooth they show ok

Guess you were in a quiet place. The problems comes when you’re in a noise indoor/outdoor place.

Arnkri

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Since using the Airpod Pros this week and on calls people have been commenting on how they are having a hard time hearing me. This is something that never happened with my regular AirPods. From what I can gather it sounds like the external noise cancellation or noise reduction algorithm is getting confused with the noise outside and my voice and effectively cutting out or reducing my voice and boosting the background noise.
Are others running into this problem? The common complaint I’m getting when talking on the phone with the Airpod Pro is that the background noise is too loud.

Same problem here... real pity as I was hoping to use these instead of Bose 700...

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
I thought I was the only one. Everybody complains when I use the Pro's. Switch to earpiece or even AirPods 2 and feedback I get is a day and night difference.

Thinking about returning the Pro's now.

furfing

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
Same here, got this comment all the time "can you talk louder please i can't hear you" tried to switch the different mod but doesn't help. Even in a quiet room, i get this comment...

Is this issue eligible for warranty or ?

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Same here, got this comment all the time "can you talk louder please i can't hear you" tried to switch the different mod but doesn't help. Even in a quiet room, i get this comment...

It definitely is and you should take them to Apple. I haven't had any issues with people not hearing me and I'm using them during calls all the time.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia

You’re in a position where you can call Apple Support & provide them with direct evidence of poor call quality - call them up & ask them if they can hear you ok.

& then do the same with the Apple Store when booking an appointment - instead of booking online, make a call & ask them if they can hear you fine.

master.reset

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2017
You’re in a position where you can call Apple Support & provide them with direct evidence of poor call quality - call them up & ask them if they can hear you ok.

& then do the same with the Apple Store when booking an appointment - instead of booking online, make a call & ask them if they can hear you fine.
This! that's exactly what I pursued. Working with Apple engineers, by giving them data pertaining to the problem. When I was speaking with the senior support staff, I did so in both a quiet room, and in a moderately more noisy environment and that proved to them that this wasn't anything I was conjuring up.

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Yeah, outbound call quality on the APP is definitely NOT as good as on the AP and AP2. Could be that that little extra length of the boom mic is helping the prior generation devices, or just that the mic on the APP is not as good with pickup. it's sad, since I pretty much prefer everything on the APP to the AP2

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I have made phone calls in different settings (mall, office, store, home) and I haven’t had anyone complain. Maybe try toggling between different modes (NC, Transparency, Off) and see how those different settings treat you. There may be a bug pertaining to a certain mode, and a firmware update in the near future may very well address it.
Cheers!

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
There may be a connection with the failing inward-NC: if this is the case, your voice is not detectable and differenciated from outward noise.
One cause – different symptoms – look here:

Indicator is a failing seal/"pass"test – please try out.
Another consequence of failing inward-NC: distracting humming of your own voice when talking because of bone-conduction…

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
There may be a connection with the failing inward-NC: if this is the case, your voice is not detectable and differenciated from outward noise.
One cause – different symptoms – look here:

Indicator is a failing seal/"pass"test – please try out.
Another consequence of failing inward-NC: distracting humming of your own voice when talking because of bone-conduction…
I’d be interested to know if those suffering from poor call quality are also not happy with the NC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.