Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SdkDel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Hi all,

As I'm currently juggling 3 different sets of headphones / earphones depending on the machine I'm on, I'm looking to be able to cut it all down to one wireless pair for everything. My main 3 machines that I'd be using them with are:
  • Mac Pro 2013 (My work / development / music rig)
  • iPad 10.2" (My media consumption device)
  • Samsung S10e Android Phone
I'm considering the Gen 2 AirPods as I've been told that they would work across all 3 devices, with the added bonus that I can use the reverse charging on the S10e in case I don't have a charger nearby for the AirPods. I've had Galaxy Buds that weren't great for multi-device usage, and I'm trying to not go the full headphones way as I've had Bose and Sony in the past, but due to relocating the heat sometimes is pretty unbearable, so earbuds would be great. Also, would appreciate good voice quality during calls.

Would this scenario work for me? How easy would it be to switch between devices? Any suggestions for or against this by any chance?

Thanks in advance!

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I also have the same set of AirPods as you. My understanding is that once they are paired to your Apple device, they work on all your devices signed into the same iCloud account. My setup is an Apple Watch (WiFi only), iPad 6th generation and iPhone 11. I use my AirPods daily for phone calls both paired to my Apple Watch and iPhone at the same time. Which is nice because when I leave my iPhone in my office and walk down the hall to get some water and someone calls, my Apple Watch will ring and I can answer it on my Apple Watch and use my AirPods. When I want to use them on my iPad, I go to the bluetooth settings on my iPad and select them and they are instantly working. I can even answer a phone call on my iPad and my AirPods work perfectly. When I am ready to use them with my iPhone again, I just go to bluetooth and select them and they are connected again. I love these things. I have even discovered they are readily accessible on my Apple TV. I can go into the settings on my Apple TV and have the sound come out of my AirPods, they even work with my Roku. If I have the Roku App open on my iPhone when watching TV on the Roku, I tap the headphones icon and the sound instantly comes out of my AirPods.

So I would think they would work fine with your Mac Pro and iPad, not entirely sure about the Samsung phone.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
Agree ^^. They also work with your Samsung. Pair them as normal Bluetooth headphones and then they’ll connect fine. You can then switch between any of the devices you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.