Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I just got the AirPods 3.

AP2:
-atmos sounds more convincing
-treble is crisper
-more comfortable.. no pressure issue.

AP3:
- better bass separation

It seems AP3 can spatialize stereo.. but does that even matter if the content is Dolby Atmos?

AirPods 2 seem to do spatial audio just fine with Dolby Atmos tracks/videos.

I understand this will differ from ear to ear.. anyone else care to share their impressions?

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE

AP2:
-treble is crisper

AP3:
- better bass separation

It seems AP3 can spatialize stereo.. but does that even matter if the content is Dolby Atmos?

I understand this will differ from ear to ear.. anyone else care to share their impressions?

I'm interested to know what is a 'convincing' sound ? :)

The comfort is a personal thing according to the shape of ears so in reality they are either comfortable or not ..... for me they are comfortable and I dont see them as any more or less comfortable than 2's (but thats my ears)

AirPods 2 Don't do Spatial audio ........

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Herrpod

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2019
I couldn’t disagree more. AP2s are tinny crap. Always have been. The only way I could make them listenable was to use an add on silicon tip/ear wing which ended up making it sound bassier and toned down the awful treble.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016

AP2:
-treble is crisper

AP3:
- better bass separation

I’d assume much of this has to do with the shape of your ears and the way they different designs sit in them.

Reactions: Phone Junky

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I'm interested to know what is a 'convincing' sound ? :)

The comfort is a personal thing according to the shape of ears so in reality they are either comfortable or not ..... for me they are comfortable and I dont see them as any more or less comfortable than 2's (but thats my ears)

AirPods 2 Don't do Spatial audio ........

I think there is a lot of confusion around spatial audio. AirPods 2 don’t do head tracking or spatialize stereo.. but if the audio or video content is Dolby Atmos, AP2 will do achieve the same thing. Dolby even refers to Atmos as spatial audio, just not Apple’s “spatial audio™(?)”

I think part of the confusion is Apple’s marketing of spatial audio. From what I can tell.. the head tracking spatial audio that apple speaks of would be more beneficial for AR/VR.

Apple even calls it “spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music” and lists all AirPods as compatible.

Reactions: ivantheipodder

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I couldn’t disagree more. AP2s are tinny crap. Always have been. The only way I could make them listenable was to use an add on silicon tip/ear wing which ended up making it sound bassier and toned down the awful treble.
Interesting to hear that. I guess they sound different in your ears. Much like my issue with the AP3s.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I think there is a lot of confusion around spatial audio. AirPods 2 don’t do head tracking or spatialize stereo.. but if the audio or video content is Dolby Atmos, AP2 will do achieve the same thing. Dolby even refers to Atmos as spatial audio, just not Apple’s “spatial audio™(?)”

I think part of the confusion is Apple’s marketing of spatial audio. From what I can tell.. the head tracking spatial audio that apple speaks of would be more beneficial for AR/VR.

Apple even calls it “spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music” and lists all AirPods as compatible.

Read it carefully ..... it doesnt say anywhere that AP2 have spatial ...... its referring to Dolby Atmos ......

Supported songs automatically play in Dolby Atmos when you're listening with:

• AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, or AirPods (3rd generation) with spatial audio turned on. Go to Control Center, touch and hold the volume button, then tap Spatial Audio.
  • AirPods
  • BeatsX, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3, Powerbeats3 Wireless, Beats Flex, Powerbeats Pro, Beats Solo Pro, or Beats Studio Buds
  • The built-in speakers on an iPhone XS or later (except iPhone SE), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, or iPad Air (4th generation)
Have you actually tried Spatial (Apples) on the AP3 compared to the AP2 ?

And what about the 'convincing' sound ? ;)

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Read it carefully ..... it doesnt say anywhere that AP2 have spatial ...... its referring to Dolby Atmos ......

Supported songs automatically play in Dolby Atmos when you're listening with:

• AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, or AirPods (3rd generation) with spatial audio turned on. Go to Control Center, touch and hold the volume button, then tap Spatial Audio.
  • AirPods
  • BeatsX, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3, Powerbeats3 Wireless, Beats Flex, Powerbeats Pro, Beats Solo Pro, or Beats Studio Buds
  • The built-in speakers on an iPhone XS or later (except iPhone SE), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, or iPad Air (4th generation)
Have you actually tried Spatial on the AP3 compared to the AP2 ?

And what about the 'convincing' sound ? ;)
The title of the article is “about spatial audio with Dolby Atmos”

Dolby Atmos is spatial audio, just not apple’s spatial audio™.

Apple’s spatial audio™ will spatialize stereo content and provide head tracking with spatialized content and Atmos (spatial) content.

Dolby Atmos creates a spatial audio-space sans head tracking. When you are stationary it is essentially the same thing.

Apple’s marketing has created the confusion.

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
This, 100%. I think the AP3 sound significantly better than the AP1/AP2.
I’m glad you’re enjoying them. I find pressing on the AP2s when in the ear canal drastically alters the sound quality. It stands to reason that the shape of one’s ears greatly impacts the sound quality with the AP1/AP2s..

I, unfortunately, don’t have the right ears for the AP3s.. much like how many others didn’t have the right ears for AP1/AP2s

• Sad
Reactions: Feek

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I’m glad you’re enjoying them. I find pressing on the AP2s when in the ear canal drastically alters the sound quality. It stands to reason that the shape of one’s ears greatly impacts the sound quality with the AP1/AP2s..

I, unfortunately, don’t have the right ears for the AP3s.. much like how many others didn’t have the right ears for AP1/AP2s
What really help me with good sound is the silicon tip/ear wing that folks have mentioned, they help AP2 stay snug in my ear and also sound good while being comfortable for runs, calls etc.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
The title of the article is “about spatial audio with Dolby Atmos”

Dolby Atmos is spatial audio, just not apple’s spatial audio™.

Apple’s spatial audio™ will spatialize stereo content and provide head tracking with spatialized content and Atmos (spatial) content.

Dolby Atmos creates a spatial audio-space sans head tracking. When you are stationary it is essentially the same thing.

Apple’s marketing has created the confusion.
I’m certainly not confused ….. however you want to phrase it spatial audio is completely different on AP2 compared to AP3, pro and Max ……

Reactions: velo

macdmc

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2019
This is fair. I’m curious how many others feel the same way.
I’m in the same boat. AP3 are very comfortable to the point where I forget they are there but the excellent fit doesn’t correspond to better sound for me and my ears.

AP2 seem to do a better job of placing sound in the right spot, whereas the angle of the driver in AP3 just doesn’t align properly.

However, I can totally appreciate AP3’s Spatial Audio as the sound has a fullness to it that isn’t there with AP2.

My hope was to replace my AP2 with AP3 for daily use and reserve my APP for focused work or listening sessions, but I think I’ll stick with the AP2+APP combo for now.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
I’m in the same boat. AP3 are very comfortable to the point where I forget they are there but the excellent fit doesn’t correspond to better sound for me and my ears.

AP2 seem to do a better job of placing sound in the right spot, whereas the angle of the driver in AP3 just doesn’t align properly.

However, I can totally appreciate AP3’s Spatial Audio as the sound has a fullness to it that isn’t there with AP2.

My hope was to replace my AP2 with AP3 for daily use and reserve my APP for focused work or listening sessions, but I think I’ll stick with the AP2+APP combo for now.
I just picked mine up from Apple and am installing 15.1 IOS update on my phone before I pair them. I’m going to compare carefully the sound between my AP2 and the new AP3’s. If my experience is the same as yours, I’ll likely return them and stick with the 2’s. Will know soon!

Reactions: turbineseaplane

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
I just picked mine up from Apple and am installing 15.1 IOS update on my phone before I pair them. I’m going to compare carefully the sound between my AP2 and the new AP3’s. If my experience is the same as yours, I’ll likely return them and stick with the 2’s. Will know soon!
Just connected the AP3’s to my iPhone and put them in my ears. Initial impressions just on the fit. 1) They fit my ears perfectly. Snug fit! They definitely feel like they would never fall out. 2) I do ”notice” the extra bulk when wearing them. Not saying it’s a bad thing. Just saying I definitely feel it. The one thing I love about the AP2’s is that you almost don’t notice you’re wearing them. I’m headed out for about an hour walk….so will get a sense if the “bulk” is something that will become uncomfortable over time…or…if I’ll just get used to it quickly. Definitely a different feel with the AP3’s though.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just connected the AP3’s to my iPhone and put them in my ears. Initial impressions just on the fit. 1) They fit my ears perfectly. Snug fit! They definitely feel like they would never fall out. 2) I do ”notice” the extra bulk when wearing them. Not saying it’s a bad thing. Just saying I definitely feel it. The one thing I love about the AP2’s is that you almost don’t notice you’re wearing them. I’m headed out for about an hour walk….so will get a sense if the “bulk” is something that will become uncomfortable over time…or…if I’ll just get used to it quickly. Definitely a different feel with the AP3’s though.

Everyone's ears are different but for me, the 'bulk' actually evenly distributes the weight of the things vs. feeling like a bit of a hook on the 1/2's to carry the weight of the components. They definitely feel lighter, and almost 'floaty' - I thought they would fall out but I shook my head to the point of giving myself a jolt of a headache and they stayed in just fine. Woo.

It's not like 1/2 are uncomfortable by any stretch of the imagination, AirPods Pro definitely can be..
but for my ears, after 15 min of use they feel even comfier to me than 1/2.

OP- if it doesnt sound as good your pair is defective or your ears aren't a good match unfortunately :(

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Everyone's ears are different but for me, the 'bulk' actually evenly distributes the weight of the things vs. feeling like a bit of a hook on the 1/2's to carry the weight of the components. They definitely feel lighter, and almost 'floaty' - I thought they would fall out but I shook my head to the point of giving myself a jolt of a headache and they stayed in just fine. Woo.

It's not like 1/2 are uncomfortable by any stretch of the imagination, AirPods Pro definitely can be..
but for my ears, after 15 min of use they feel even comfier to me than 1/2.

OP- if it doesnt sound as good your pair is defective or your ears aren't a good match unfortunately :(
After going on a 1 hour walk with the AP3’s, the extra bulk is fine. I do notice them in my ear a bit, but that‘s okay. They’re definitely not uncomfortable. Actually, just the opposite….I find them very comfortable. A couple other things I noticed (ie 1st impressions). Phone calls on the AP3’s sound better….a nice rich bass sound. I subscribe to Apple Music….and to my ear, the AP3’s sound noticeably better. Also tuned into a movie I purchased from Apple…and the sound is louder and richer with more bass on the AP3’s vs the AP2’s. The AP3’s are a keeper for me.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
What are your thoughts now?

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
I've been so excited for the AP3 for a long time. APP just never worked for me. And the sound was worse. I was afraid of the same with these. It's wild to hear people say AP1/2 sound tinny. To me, they have a much fuller sound, with much better bass. The AP3 sound "cleaner"... but very little bass, not a full sound. I'm thinking it must be a fitment thing. Stinks.

Reactions: Arran

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
After going on a 1 hour walk with the AP3’s, the extra bulk is fine. I do notice them in my ear a bit, but that‘s okay. They’re definitely not uncomfortable. Actually, just the opposite….I find them very comfortable. A couple other things I noticed (ie 1st impressions). Phone calls on the AP3’s sound better….a nice rich bass sound. I subscribe to Apple Music….and to my ear, the AP3’s sound noticeably better. Also tuned into a movie I purchased from Apple…and the sound is louder and richer with more bass on the AP3’s vs the AP2’s. The AP3’s are a keeper for me.

I havent made any calls yet, but listening to a podcast voices definitely have more depth and umph. its nice!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I've been so excited for the AP3 for a long time. APP just never worked for me. And the sound was worse. I was afraid of the same with these. It's wild to hear people say AP1/2 sound tinny. To me, they have a much fuller sound, with much better bass. The AP3 sound "cleaner"... but very little bass, not a full sound. I'm thinking it must be a fitment thing. Stinks.

it probably is.

AirPods 3 have so much bass (but not Beats overdone) I dunno how they pulled it off without tips. It's impressive.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Man, I'm jealous. Maybe I need to do ear exercises to make them bigger. Ha.

if it doesnt it doesnt but I feel bad for people who were excited for these and cant even enjoy them because of the size incompatibility. Was the case with 1/2 as well.

Ears are a hard thing to make a universal product for imo.

• Love
Reactions: Sikh and Arran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.