Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
The new design of the AirPods 3 is perfect. I've got a set of original AirPods that I've used almost every day but I had to have Earskinz to get a decent fit that didn't fall out. AirPods Pro simply wouldn't seal in my ears but my AirPods 3 have been delivered and finally I have a set that fit!

They fit nice and snugly in my ears but not too tight that they're uncomfortable. I've been listening to them for the last couple of hours and not only can I barely even tell they're there but there's no feeling of looseness that I had from the original AirPods.

The fit is utterly perfect.

Finally!

Last edited:

stealthytolkien

macrumors member
May 3, 2021
The new design of the AirPods 3 is perfect. I've got a set of original AirPods that I've used almost every day but I had to have Earskinz to get a decent fit that didn't fall out. AirPods Pro simply wouldn't seal in my ears but my AirPods 3 have been delivered and finally I have a set that fit!

They fit nice and snugly in my ears but not too tight that they're uncomfortable. I've been listening to them for the last couple of hours and not only can I barely even tell they're there but there's no feeling of looseness that I had from the original AirPods.

The fit is utterly perfect.

Finally!
This is precisely the reason I ordered AirPods 3 (being delivered today).

My ears are large and the ear canal opening is too wide for the original AirPods to stay put. I tried all kinds of skins with them. The only thing that would work is if I wear the right AirPod in my left ear and vice versa, but then the horribly designed sharp outer plastic edge started hurting after a while.

AirPods Pro largely solved the fit problem for me, but not without some Comply 2.0 tips on them. But AirPods Pro definitely have that "whistle" problem every once in a while in the right bud, and I have already replaced one under the recall, and the barely 4 hour battery life is mediocre.

AirPods 3, while without noise cancellation, seem bulkier than all the other AirPods designs so it might be a more snug fit, fingers crossed!

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
I was about to say the opposite. Got mine today and was disappointed over how bulky they feel. They do stay put so far but it will get interesting to see if that holds true long term. Guess I have smaller ears. OG AirPods fit perfectly.
Same here! They feel really bulky, but will also see if I get used to them.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I was about to say the opposite. Got mine today and was disappointed over how bulky they feel. They do stay put so far but it will get interesting to see if that holds true long term. Guess I have smaller ears. OG AirPods fit perfectly.
Mine come in today as well. OG AirPods fit me PERFECTLY and these look to be quite a bit larger…..I’ll know soon!

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I’m looking forward to trying these today. My AirPods Pro’s are great but the pressure gets uncomfortable after a while. The regular AirPods were too small and slim and always fell out. The larger size makes me optimistic.

stealthytolkien

macrumors member
May 3, 2021
So interesting that for all the people original AirPods design was perfect are saying the Gen 3 design is too bulky! For me, the original AirPods literally fell off within seconds and my ears screamed for a little more bulk in the design, haha!

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
So interesting that for all the people original AirPods design was perfect are saying the Gen 3 design is too bulky! For me, the original AirPods literally fell off within seconds and my ears screamed for a little more bulk in the design, haha!
Differences between people is one thing but my left and right ear can’t seem to agree either. Right ear is fine with 3rd gen after painful pros but left ear is just a little too uncomfortable ? Really hope it gets on board, would hate to return them

• Haha
Reactions: johntw and Lukkee24

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
My Airpods 3 just delivered and I like them so far. I've been using my original first gen Airpods even though I bought the Airpods Pro when they first came out. I have never liked any sort of rubber inside my ears but I figured I'd give the Airpods Pro a try. I used them for three days and I then returned them. I like how they sounded but I just couldn't get use to the whole inner rubber ear gel thing. I never bothered with the Airpods 2 because I couldn't justify buying them considering they were very similar to the first gen versions.

But the Airpods 3 fit great in my ears. I was thankful to see Apple finally updating the Airpods design but w/o having the rubber ear gel design which I do not and will not use. Yuk!

Last edited:
Reactions: johntw and Lukkee24

stealthytolkien

macrumors member
May 3, 2021
Got mine and returned them right away. Fit is just as bad as original AirPods for my large ears. These fit even worse actually.

Last edited:

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
These fit SO much better than the OG airpods and the sound quality is very impressive in a quiet room. Outside in NYC, they loose their oomph a bit, but that’s where the pros come in handy. Pleasantly surprised! The regular airpods wouldn’t even come close to my ear canal whereas these have a solid amount of bass and fullness, and shaking my head didn’t do a thing to dislodge them.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I guess I have big ears? They fit perfectly and sound is noticeably better. Blocks out sound better than Airpods 2. For some reason they feel lighter lol.

• Love
Reactions: sfrangu and johntw

Berc

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2021
Arizona
Previously an original AirPods wearer. These 3rd gen are the ones I was waiting for. I can't stand rubber eartips inserted in my ears. Perfect fit for me and finally, some bass! Plus, they look less geeky in your ears.

And, how was I getting along all this time without spatial audio?

ginhb

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2018
I finally got a chance to try mine for a while. They fit very well and sound a LOT better than the AP2's. In my ears the best fit and sound is slightly rotated so the stems are going forward a bit rather than straight down. That was also true with the previous version. They block more outside noise than the AP2's also, apparently from the size. The fit seems just right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.