Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brownj218

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2021
Longtime lurker, first time poster. As I type this my AirPods are connected to my MacBook and iPhone at the same time. Audio played on either device comes out of the AirPods. I haven't tried playing audio on both at the same time yet. Is this expected behaviour?

A little background on why this has excited me enough to spin up a forums account and post:

I've owned AirPods for years and use them for hours a day. I sit at a desk for work and use them for Zoom meetings/ music on the computer, and also for phone calls/ music on my phone (I never answer phone calls thru my Mac). This means I switch between devices multiple times per day. I love my AirPods...but since day 1 I've had nothing but issues when switching them between my phone and computer. It's the worst when I get a phone call and they're connected to my mac, it sometimes takes 5-10 seconds for them to connect to the phone which leaves a gap of silence on the other end. There's not enough time to connect them to the phone before answering the call, so people I talk to frequently curse my AirPods because of the fumbling at the start of every call. Getting them to connect back to my Mac usually takes a few tries as well.

I was so excited when automatic switching was announced for iOS 14, and while I do think the problem has gotten somewhat better, it's still been far from perfect. So....what's going on with them today? Part of me thinks this is how automatic switching was meant to work all along...but I can't imagine why they would just start working like this today. My phone is on the latest iOS 15 developer beta and AirPods Pro are on firmware version 3E751.

I feel like this is a random event that won't happen again once I disconnect a device....but my god I hope I'm wrong because this is fantastic. This is how I expected AirPods to work when I first bought them, especially since my previous Jaybirds allowed pairing to 2 devices. Very curious if anyone else has had a similar experience or noticed improved switching/simultaneous pairing.

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 11.11.20 AM.png

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I never really looked before, but I have the same thing. I think the APP will "connect" but will only play from one. If I hit Play in the Music app on my iPhone 12, the APP will play from there automatically. However, on the Mac I have to first stop the playing on the iPhone, and click on the Connect in the notification before they will switch back. Otherwise, just hitting PLAY on the iMac there will still be stuttering, like the APP can't decide which device to listen to.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
They can be simultaneous connected to 2 supported Apple devices at a time.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
I have the opposite issue. My AirPods will connect to my Mac exclusively unless my iPhone is unlocked. It would be nice to be able to turn off auto-connect and set a preference list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.