Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rubenfer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
España
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my Airpods. When I put in into the case the Airpods charge, but when it is charged with 100%, if I see the level of battery one hour later WITHOUT take the Airpods, the battery level of AirPods is 98%, then, another hour later come back to 100%. Why? Anyone have this problem?

I think that this waste battery clicles but not is necessary.

Too I have the problem with quality of Siri in AirPods.

Thanks.

Best regards from Spain.

Rubenfer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
España
No, my AirPods case is good. In a complete night it only waste 2% of battery. My problem is AirPods battery, when I put it into the case, the AirPods go to 100%, but the AirPods battery in the next hour down a 2%

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
No, my AirPods case is good. In a complete night it only waste 2% of battery. My problem is AirPods battery, when I put it into the case, the AirPods go to 100%, but the AirPods battery in the next hour down a 2%
I've noticed mine doing this too. Seems pretty normal. When most devices are at 100% charge and still connected to power, in reality they are draining slightly and recharging again. For example, draining to 98% and recharging back to 100% again. iOS devices and Macs report all true states of charge from 98% to 100% as being 100% so as not to confuse the user. The AirPods are probably reporting their true charge. The effect may be magnified with tiny batteries too since 98% vs 100% is a minuscule amount of lost charge.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Okay, I think I remember some people mentioning that somewhere, but I can't find where. I believe the consensus was there's nothing you can do about it, as there's no way to turn the AirPods off.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Anyone have this problem?
I doubt it's actually a problem as such. Modern devices draw power even when they're not doing much as such (typically called "standby mode" or such), powering the bluetooth hardware for example in order to do such things as report the battery level you are so concerned about... ;)

Reactions: omgitscro

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
It's a non-issue. Once the airpods are fully charged, they stop charging. Once the battery on the airpods goes to 95% it then starts to top it back up to 100%. Macbooks does this too if you only use the outlet, same with ipads, iphones, ipod. etc.

Reactions: omgitscro

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But with this process we don't waste battery cycles?

The way I see it, if this significantly shortened product life, then people would be complaining about it. But most people are happy with their device's battery life function, even after a few years of use

Since AirPods are a new product, we don't know for sure how well their battery will hold up over the years. But if they work like iPhones iPads MacBooks, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
But with this process we don't waste battery cycles?
Your earphones will last years, easily. When was the last time you wore out a battery in one of your gimmicks? I personally never have. You'll either upgrade or lose them before the batteries die, without a (reasonable) doubt. Of course, they might fail too, but probably not that either.

Rubenfer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
España
Another question is about case battery. In a night (8 hours) with AirPods inside, it waste a 10%. Is normal? Thanks!!!!

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Your earphones will last years, easily. When was the last time you wore out a battery in one of your gimmicks? I personally never have. You'll either upgrade or lose them before the batteries die, without a (reasonable) doubt. Of course, they might fail too, but probably not that either.

Multiple laptop batteries, BT Speakers, Jaybird earbuds, phone batteries, my current 2012 macbook needs a new battery. So yes people do burn through batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.