Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Can anyone confirm how many charging cycles the AirPods take before degrading? Some wireless products I own by Bose say 1000 full charges before degrading. I can’t find anything by Apple on the subject.

I use AirPods 12 hours a day 4 days a week at my job and charge them a couple times a day to do that. I’m worried they’ll degrade and not hold a charge after doing that for a while. Can anyone confirm how theirs are holding up with heavy daily usage. I know some who only use an hour a day, so obviously theirs will be fine.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I'd say if you get over 1250 Hours of use of of them per year (Based on your usage), and they get to the point of being unusable after 2 or 3 years I'd say you got your $150 out of the product and it's time to get a new pair...

Reactions: aforty

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I'd say if you get over 1250 Hours of use of of them per year (Based on your usage), and they get to the point of being unusable after 2 or 3 years I'd say you got your $150 out of the product and it's time to get a new pair...
Agreed. I was concerned I wouldn’t get a year. I do 50 hours a week usage and saw some YouTube vids and others who used similarly and battery was cut in half after a year to 2.5 hours.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Agreed. I was concerned I wouldn’t get a year. I do 50 hours a week usage and saw some YouTube vids and others who used similarly and battery was cut in half after a year to 2.5 hours.
I'd just keep an eye on your battery widget. See how long you can use them to hit 0% WITHOUT putting them in the charge case and average it out.

If the case at 100% is still able to charge the AirPods to 100% without needing a plug in or close to it. I wouldn't worry about it

Reactions: michial

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I'd just keep an eye on your battery widget. See how long you can use them to hit 0% WITHOUT putting them in the charge case and average it out.

If the case at 100% is still able to charge the AirPods to 100% without needing a plug in or close to it. I wouldn't worry about it
My assumption is if after 11 months it gets low quick I can take it to the Apple store and they’ll replace for free if it’s not normal.

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
so it seems in a year you would have gotten close to 2500 hours of hearing them. id be happy if I get passed a year with that much listening and no issue, that is a win.

you really should look in to a wired set if you are putting that much time in with these.

best of luck

Reactions: michial

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
so it seems in a year you would have gotten close to 2500 hours of hearing them. id be happy if I get passed a year with that much listening and no issue, that is a win.

you really should look in to a wired set if you are putting that much time in with these.

best of luck
Thanks.
Can’t stand wires. I’ll be happy with a year. By then AirPods 2 will be in my pocket.

Last edited:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I see some shortening life on the batteries. I have three sets I had two lost a airbud so bought another set only to find the lost one. I have timers set when to change them out and the older ones don't always make it to that time now before I get the low battery warning.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I see some shortening life on the batteries. I have three sets I had two lost a airbud so bought another set only to find the lost one. I have timers set when to change them out and the older ones don't always make it to that time now before I get the low battery warning.
I was just curious if Apple stated an appx # of charges. Like the QC35 have an estimated 1000 cycle charges before degradation. I’m happy with Apple products. They stand behind their products and I live within 15 minutesof 3 stores so if I have an issue I trust they’ll take care of it as they always have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.