Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
So today I learned something pretty interesting: AirPods that have been assigned iOS 11 exclusive left/right assignments such as "Next Track" and "Previous Track" still keep their assignments when used with an iOS 10 device. I learned this because I have a 10.5" iPad Pro on iOS 11 while my iPhone 6S remains on 10.3.2. Today, I set my right AirPod to skip to the next track and the left one to go to the previous track while listening to music on my iPad. Upon listening to music later in the day on my iPhone, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was still able to skip to the next or previous track by double tapping the respective AirPod. Basically, its seems that the AirPods hold whatever double tap function they were last assigned.

Reactions: nathanalf

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Well mine some how lost this ability. I had originally set it up with an iPad Pro 9.7 that I put iOS 11 on, worked fine with the iPhone on iOS 10.3. Yesterday I got an iPad Pro 10.5 and today I noticed that the AirPod settings had reverted back to the previous settings. Once I put iOS 11 on the new iPad I could change it back though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.