Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shane2017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
When AirPods were first announced, the lack of options other than Siri for track-navigation was a complete dealbreaker for me. So I was thrilled when I learned that iOS 11 introduced the ability to assign custom actions (play/pause and next track) to individual AirPods.

I immediately ordered a pair and upgraded to iOS 11. Cut to five weeks later (aka yesterday) when my brand new AirPods arrived...and I can’t get the highly-touted new features to even show up in iOS. I’ve updated the AirPod firmware to 3.7.2, I’m running iOS 11 beta 2, yet when I go into settings->Bluetooth—>AirPods info, there’s no option for “right” and “left”...? I’ve watched videos and I’ve seen screenshots, so I know that other people are able to access these features. I’m beyond frustrated and on the verge of sending these back. Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
When AirPods were first announced, the lack of options other than Siri for track-navigation was a complete dealbreaker for me. So I was thrilled when I learned that iOS 11 introduced the ability to assign custom actions (play/pause and next track) to individual AirPods.

I immediately ordered a pair and upgraded to iOS 11. Cut to five weeks later (aka yesterday) when my brand new AirPods arrived...and I can’t get the highly-touted new features to even show up in iOS. I’ve updated the AirPod firmware to 3.7.2, I’m running iOS 11 beta 2, yet when I go into settings->Bluetooth—>AirPods info, there’s no option for “right” and “left”...? I’ve watched videos and I’ve seen screenshots, so I know that other people are able to access these features. I’m beyond frustrated and on the verge of sending these back. Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

Initially when Airpods shipped there was a firmware update. Did you update the firmware prior to loading iOS 11 on your phone? I own a pair of Airpods and the left/right customization is available to me on iOS 11.

Shane2017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Initially when Airpods shipped there was a firmware update. Did you update the firmware prior to loading iOS 11 on your phone? I own a pair of Airpods and the left/right customization is available to me on iOS 11.

I updated the AirPod firmware first thing. I’m running the latest AirPod firmware and the latest iOS 11 public beta.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I updated the AirPod firmware first thing. I’m running the latest AirPod firmware and the latest iOS 11 public beta.

Did you try a reset on the airpods? (the one that involves holding down the button on the back for like 5 seconds) and then repairing them?

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Hm, that didn't work here. Forgot the Airpods, placed them into case, held button for ~5s, re-paired, still no new options.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Okay, I'm now on 3.7.2. I've rebooted the phone, forgot and re-paired the Airpods and STILL no new iOS 11 features. I'm on b5.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Okay, I'm now on 3.7.2. I've rebooted the phone, forgot and re-paired the Airpods and STILL no new iOS 11 features. I'm on b5.

stoovie,my airpods have the same problem with urs,do u know the solution?

You guys are sure your AirPods are powered up, connected to your iPhones AND are capable of playing music, etc? Only then will you see the setup screen for the control features (Settings, Bluetooth, Your AirPods, touch the blue "I")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.