Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Hopefully get some help on this one... I've got the APM Pink connected to a MBP 15" 2019.

I'm scrubbing through Premier Pro, and when there's a section of audio that's significantly louder than the background music playing from Spotify/Music, my APM automatically reduces the volume for me.

Is this a feature to prevent my ears from bursting when the sound is clipping heavily on Premier Pro? Or a fault that's either a Mac issue or APM issue. I've noticed / had it before with my XM4s so I'm unsure here...

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
The APM constantly adjusts itself to ensure it doesn't distort. As a fellow video editor, I wouldn't use APM for editing. I use them and a bunch of other headphones to check the end result but not to create the mix.

Reactions: Premal212

Premal212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Yeah I'm currently rolling with some old school MDR-v700s for editing / syncing up the sound, the latency is very good compared to some other BT headphones but still not good enough. It does my head in when the waveform doesn't match up with what my ears are hearing. I tend to use these for much later when I'm fiddling with lumetri controls or applying motion effects and just want to get cranking.

Given how great they sound, have you tried APM with the cable, does the latency drop to zero? I had a pair of XM4s before these that I connected using a 3.5mm which were great wrt to latency, but a little heavy on the bass.

Or are you referring to the fact that these just aren't reference headphones ...?

Reactions: LeonPro

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Yeah I'm currently rolling with some old school MDR-v700s for editing / syncing up the sound, the latency is very good compared to some other BT headphones but still not good enough. It does my head in when the waveform doesn't match up with what my ears are hearing. I tend to use these for much later when I'm fiddling with lumetri controls or applying motion effects and just want to get cranking.

Given how great they sound, have you tried APM with the cable, does the latency drop to zero? I had a pair of XM4s before these that I connected using a 3.5mm which were great wrt to latency, but a little heavy on the bass.

Or are you referring to the fact that these just aren't reference headphones ...?

Yes, the APM has very low latency but still not great for editing as it will veer you a few frames off. That doesn't include cutting to the beat.

I do have two of the wired cables (black and white) for two of my APMs, but I bought it for future air travelling. Not for editing. And yes it removes the wireless latency to negligible. The problem is that it needs to be charged to work that way. Also the wire is a DAC. So you're at the mercy of multiple digital conversions - internal conversion from your computer, conversion on the wire, conversion on the APM.

I was referring to using them as reference headphones. It's an end-user headphone to sound good, not a content-creation headphone. If you're not the sound editor as well, then there isn't an issue using these wired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.