Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayat55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
When I switch apps or start/stop a YouTube video or Spotify song there is a popping noise heard through the AirPods. Is this normal or are my AirPods faulty? (AirPods are 100% charged)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When I switch apps or start/stop a YouTube video or Spotify song there is a popping noise heard through the AirPods. Is this normal or are my AirPods faulty? (AirPods are 100% charged)

It’s not faulty. My Airpods sometimes does this as well with YouTube. It’s just an interruption in the frequency I believe.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Mine does it quite a lot though? Like when playing songs aswell or when opening apps

I don’t notice it frequently in between using Apple Music or Amazon music. But it has popped between YouTube. And I can’t attest any applications with the popping.

The only other thing I can suggest is try to re-pair your AirPods and iPhone. Otherwise might be in your interest to contact Apple.

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Is it a very faint click/pop?

If so, I hear it too. I'm used to it now though & in a room with mild background noise, I don't notice it.

I think it's just the microphone detecting your voice or heavy breathing & anticipating you wanting to speak.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It’s not faulty. My Airpods sometimes does this as well with YouTube. It’s just an interruption in the frequency I believe.

Normal with bluetooth devices. Very faint though. Much more noticeable if you have a physical external bluetooth boombox/speaker - annoying as heck. Basically, the speaker goes into standby mode to save battery, but if you do something that requires sound it pops as it activates and makes sound until it again goes into standby mode.

I just got my first pair of AirPods yesterday and noticed this yesterday - I haven't had it happen at all today. Yesterday, I noticed it when listening to music and starting up the camera - I'd get a tiny pop - not sure if camera's activating the airpod's mic or something like that.

Having used Bluetooth speakers for 5+ years, this is far less bluetooth pop than with other devices that I've had so ... doesn't bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.