Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resseh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
i left my airpods pro overnight on my Belkin 3 in one magsafe charger.

they had only charged to 89% and was warm. is this likely to be down to not aligning it properly, the charger is faulty or is this normal?

i have optimised charging enabled on the airpods.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Is it normal? Yes, I have both the Belkin MagSafe 3-in-1 and the previous gen 3-in-1. Both seem to be cooking the AirPods rather than charging them. It’s the kind of heat you’d expext in the first few minutes of charging AirPods where both the pods and the case are completely drained - except that’s not the situation, you just needed to top up 10% or they were fully charged and you placed them there just to know where they are. Any and all scenarios seem to lead the Belkin wireless chargers to the same conclusion: this device must boil and it must boil now.

So… normal? Yup. Good? Probably not.

My AirPods Pro batteries are in surprisingly good condition after 18 months, it’s barely made a dent in the battery life — but getting the Belkin MagSafe seems to have murdered my iPhone 12 Pro battery. It was at 106% health when it arrived in November. Some 8 months and 100+ cycles later it was at 102% (according to Coconut Battery). Then I got the Belkin MagSafe in May. Battery health went into a free fall, it went from 102% to 96% in the first 3 weeks and then it’s been losing 1% every other week or so, it’s now at 88%. Same 88% as my iPhone XS which is two years older and has 350+ more cycles on it - it was only ever charged via Lightning cable and occasionally a Zens 3-in-1 charger with 10w where it barely gets lukewarm.

Reactions: Resseh

Resseh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
thanks! that’s good that’s it’s normal but a shame, as that was going to be where i stored my airpods as i’m always forgetting where i put them.

it’s a bit worrying about the iphone battery. i just noticed my iphone 12 mini is only at 95% and i bought it at launch. i’ll keep an eye on whether it degrades quicker than normal.

i am surprised the belkin doesn’t have an auto shut off if the device is at 100%. it’s not exactly cheap.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Ive never been a fan of wireless charging. It’s slower than corded charging and heats up the device. There really is no advantage to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.