Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewRyan09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Should I get AirPods Pro 2 or an Apple Watch S7. Ive never owned either of these products, but for the ones who own them both which would you rather have if you can only have one?

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I own both and if I had to choose I’d pick the AirPods. They are actually life improving.

The watch is a luxury. It has limited use unless you’re a health and fitness freak (I am) or want some expensive jewellery (I don’t). Before I got mine I was using my phone as a pocket Watch fine for the last 25 years or so.

Reactions: Pilot Jones

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Unless you're actively going to use the watch for its features, AirPods all the way.

I agree with @Danfango, the seismic shift in convenience that AirPods bring about in your day-to-day can't be overstated.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
Watch. Use it to track your overall fitness and be on the way for better health. :D

Iliketheapples

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2022
i have a smart watch. havent used it in 2 years. nobody got time to take that on and off. with that said i like samsung buds pro better. clearer treble better bass.

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
I own both, if I had to choose only one I'd go with the AirPods Pro, that's because I'm a big music listener and I won't go back to headphones that don't have ANC, sometimes I use them without listening to music, but just so that I don't hear noise.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Yeah the ANC is amazing when I'm commuting. It kills even the loudest Russian woman shouting at her cheating boyfriend on her phone.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Hands down the AirPods Pro. I had the Apple Watch for a few years but eventually sold it for two reasons. One, I did not find any real value in its features. I use a Garmin Fenix for my fitness activities (cycling and hiking mostly) and I found the notifications more distracting than helpful. Which leads to the second reason. I felt like I was a bit of a jerk when I wore it. The notifications demand your instant attention (obviously you could ignore it, but the whole point is to get them that moment). This led to me realizing that I would look at the watch at inappropriate times and make the people around me feel second to my watch. I notice this with others who have an Apple Watch to this day. You are in a conversation and suddenly they are reading a text message. But all of that is just my perspective and the relationship I had with the watch.

The AirPods Pro on the other hand are fantastically convenient earphones, if not the best sounding. They do a good enough job with sound, transparency mode, and ANC, and are so easy to use that they are an indispensable part of my kit. I will always have a pair.

Reactions: alphasports

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2020
I have both and have given this question a bit of thought and I don’t think it’s that simple… if you have headphones that work with your iPhone then the APP will be just better versions of them and then I’d say go for the AW as you will get functionality you can not get from your iPhone (pulse, blood oxygen, ECG, fall detection).

Now.. if you do not have any headphones then get the APP as you will get great features such as ANC and Spatial Audio that you may have of not heard before.

The AW is a great extension of the iPhone, I don’t use my phone nearly as much as I used to. It keeps me on track for meetings, weather, I use it for kids football matches (timing) and the fitness side of it is amazing, I can go for a run with just my AW and BFP, listen to a podcast or music while being coached on my run (NRC), I track my heart rate, cadence, blood oxygen, my route, incline etc

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don't own both, but I can say the Watch has never appealed to me because they're a more intrusive device to wear.

AirPods Pro have been the best iPhone accessory imo. They've introduced me to more music/podcasts than I would've even known in the 3-4 years of ownership + they make the iPhone/iPad more user-friendly in many ways.

& with the predicted health-monitoring benefits that the AirPods Pro 2 are meant to bring, it makes them a much more enticing product than the Watch.

iAvi

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2022
Get the watch. Sell the watch. Buy the AirPods Pro.
I started using the watch two years I bought it, when I started walking/jogging diligently. I found many more use cases for the AirPods Pro.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
i guess i'm the only one who would choose the watch.

in my case, i find that gamification of fitness is life changing and hard to duplicate, whereas i can use other Bluetooth headphones.

i should add that i own a series 4 and series 6 apple watch, and multiple headphones including airpods pro, beats fit pro, airpods max and a fiio btr5 dac that i plug in other headphones to.

if it was simple an issue of budget i would get a watch se and some second gen airpods for 99% of the useful features of both devices.

Reactions: GrandeLatte

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Should I get AirPods Pro 2 or an Apple Watch S7. Ive never owned either of these products, but for the ones who own them both which would you rather have if you can only have one?
Two different uses, do you need a watch? Or do you need headphones.? I got a watch years before I went for AirPods, Because I already had a good enough set of headphones but needed a smart watch.

Reactions: scrane

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
I have (and love) both, use them both all day every day. I would never want to go without either. But if I could only have one, it'd be the AirPods Pro.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I find myself going days or weeks without wearing the Apple Watch, but I rarely go anywhere without my AirPods Pro. Unless I need it for something specific on a given day, the Apple Watch sometimes feels more like a nuisance than a useful tool.

This can be highly dependent on use case, but the fact that I can seamlessly switch the AirPods between my iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TVs is something I'd not want to give up. Although if you already have a different set of AirPods this point may be moot. However, the combination of noise cancelling and transparency offers by the APPs is great for walking the dog, riding the train, and just wearing them around the house. I use them far more than I ever did my original AirPods.

Iliketheapples

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2022
If you don't already wear a watch every day I would not buy a watch. My brother bought me a smart watch a few years ago I used it for 2 weeks then the novelty wore off and I stopped using it. It takes a lot of effort to put on a watch every day unless you have a very specific and necessary reason to have one.

Reactions: artur4ik

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
If you don't already wear a watch every day I would not buy a watch. My brother bought me a smart watch a few years ago I used it for 2 weeks then the novelty wore off and I stopped using it. It takes a lot of effort to put on a watch every day unless you have a very specific and necessary reason to have one.
My experience with Apple Watch has been very different. Had never worn a watch regularly, and hadn't worn one at all for a decade before getting the AW. I didn't like it at all for the first week or so, because my expectations were wrong.

I was determined to return it at the end of two weeks and get a refund, but one day during that second week it just clicked and I realized how valuable it was to me - not as something I was constantly using & touching (like I thought it'd be) but as something that liberates me from my phone. Notifications, timers, weather, etc all at a glance without needing the phone constantly in my hand (plus calls, activity tracking, sleep tracking, time, and everything else the watch can do).

Apple Watch is definitely not for everyone, but it quickly became something I "have to have."

Pede

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Tough one since I use both of them heavily as part of my training. But if I had to pick one, it must be the Pros.

artur4ik

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2022
Ukraine
In my opinion better to take Apple Watch, but not a 7th generation. Soon apple present a new Apple Watch for active people, with better water resistance etc. So, I think better to wait and take such version. I will do the same. Now I'm owned of 3th generation.

Apple Watch have more functionality either AirPods, so, it will be useful for everyday using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.