Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aa27154

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2021
Hi Folks,

I am an iPhone User and I have been waiting to upgrade from my AirPods to the AirPods Pro (I got the AirPods around April/May 2019). Currently the microphones do not work on the AirPods - they havent been working already for a year, so I use the Airpods to listen to music. My other issue with the Airpods was that I couldn't connect the Airpods to my Surface Laptop (it only connected a few times and even when I do create the bluetooth connection, I couldnt hear any sound) so I could not use them for zoom or listen to movies.

I am debating whether to move to a MacBook Pro when it will be released later this year, however, my surface is working very well and so I might stick with it until it dies.

However, I would like to upgrade my wireless earphones and I debating whether I should buy an AirPods Pro, wait until an updated version is released or buy outside of the Apple ecosystem and get the Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 which has really good reviews.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as I am not fully in the Apple ecosystem besides the iPhone, however, I use the AirPods nearly every day. Do the AirPods Pro have an issue with connecting with non-apple devices? Is there someone in a similar boat to me and decided to go in one direction?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:

nihoso

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
Before investing in new products, maybe we can solve the problem with your Laptop:

When connected to your Surface, you might change the audio output manually to your AirPods. Typically that works by clicking the volume icon in the taskbar and choosing the other audio device displayed there.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
What do you value? Do you listen on your computer or iPhone more often? Have you tried the fit on either one of the options? What controls do you think you’d prefer, touch or squeeze? Is the Sennheiser case as big as it looks in pictures, do you care about that?

If you do move to a MacBook the APP will provide a bit more value with auto switching but if you’re not sure then that’s not exactly a selling point.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Hi Folks,

I am an iPhone User and I have been waiting to upgrade from my AirPods to the AirPods Pro (I got the AirPods around April/May 2019). Currently the microphones do not work on the AirPods - they havent been working already for a year, so I use the Airpods to listen to music. My other issue with the Airpods was that I couldn't connect the Airpods to my Surface Laptop (it only connected a few times and even when I do create the bluetooth connection, I couldnt hear any sound) so I could not use them for zoom or listen to movies.

I am debating whether to move to a MacBook Pro when it will be released later this year, however, my surface is working very well and so I might stick with it until it dies.

However, I would like to upgrade my wireless earphones and I debating whether I should buy an AirPods Pro, wait until an updated version is released or buy outside of the Apple ecosystem and get the Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 which has really good reviews.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as I am not fully in the Apple ecosystem besides the iPhone, however, I use the AirPods nearly every day. Do the AirPods Pro have an issue with connecting with non-apple devices? Is there someone in a similar boat to me and decided to go in one direction?

Thanks for your thoughts!

My AirPods Pro do tend to lose connection with non Apple devices, but only when idle, never while in use. And it's a simple tap on the bluetooth menu to reconnect. Noise Cancellation and Transparency (Ambient) mode are top notch. Battery life seems worse than the Airpods gen 2, even with ANC and Transparency mode off. That's probably my biggest gripe.

I personally use Galaxy Buds Live on a daily basis, and they are great. I rank them as good as the Airpods gen 2, but with better sound.

Skip the Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2, I had audio/video sync issues and transparent mode seems too artificial.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
I bought some cheap Skull Candy Indigo ear buds. Sound quality is good, sometimes they don't want to sync, but then you just pop them in and out of the case and voila! For $35.00 I just can't justify buying Apple Air Pods when there's so many alternatives at a lower price that work just as well if not better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.