Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsatterfield

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I just had this issue, and here’s how the problem happened and how I fixed it.

I charged my AirPods Pro overnight to full capacity, but I didn’t charge my iPhone. When I put my AirPods in my ears, there was no chime. I then tried putting them back into the case and then opening the case next to the phone. My iPhone said that these AirPods had not been synced to my phone. I then tried going to Bluetooth settings and connecting the case manually, but I got a notification saying that the AirPods were not in range.

I tried setting them up as a new pair, according to the instructions I was first given, but they would not pair. I then restarted my phone. When the phone was on again, I opened my case next to the phone, and it once again asked me to pair my AirPods.

This time, it worked. However, there is a new step in connecting the AirPods that involves testing spatial audio. At first, my AirPods were not signaling to my phone that they were in my ears, so I had to adjust them a few times and tilt my head back. After finally hearing the chime, I could test spatial audio. I opened up Bluetooth settings and saw that they were connected in the same “channel“ on Bluetooth that they were before. It did not add a new device.

My conclusion is that maybe this is a programmed test for all AirPods Pro users when first updating to iOS 14. Maybe because I circumvented that test, somehow, it prevented me from connecting my AirPods to my phone.

thegiftofdom

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2020
Yea, I was waiting for something to go wrong, everything seemed too perfect! I had a similar issue, but what worked for me was that I had to reset my carrier settings for my phone to connect back to my airpods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.