Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncan.france

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Auckland, NZ
My wife has found AirPods very useful, but not ideal, as hearing aids. She uses them with her iPhone SE in conjunction with a signal-processing app: 'BioAid' (obtainable from AppleStore). BioAid allows for amplification of specific frequency ranges and there is a slide control that cuts out, more or less, external noise.

This set-up gives a much better quality sound than her $6000 hearing aids!! However, a few aspects of the AirPods could be improved:

Her voice tends to be over amplified and there is a slight echo of other people's voices.

The over-amplification if the user’s voice is much reduced by rotating the AirPods by 180 degrees. This also has the merit that the otherwise prominent 'stem' (the thinner part of each AirPod) is hidden in her hair, i.e. fits the cosmetic bill. Unfortunately, that configuration means that the comfortable fit in the 'normal' position is negated and the AirPods tend to fall out!!

Could Apple envisage a modification by in a rotatable joint between the 'ear-piece and the microphone 'stem'?

We understand that AirPods have noise cancelling incorporated. Is it possible to switch this off so one can investigate its impact on the sound quality, for example on the slightly irritating echo?

Finally, we appreciate that AirPods, while great for playback, are not designed to be hearing aids. However, the positive result obtained by us makes us suggest that it would be worthwhile for Apple to consider another version of AirPods exactly for that purpose!

Duncan France

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Along the same line ... It would be nice if there was a way to use the AirPods to listen to the TV without turning the volume up to accommodate my hearing loss. My ReSound hearing aids will do that and are controlled by my iPhone, but the AirPods sound much better than the hearing aids and I would prefer to use them.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Along the same line ... It would be nice if there was a way to use the AirPods to listen to the TV without turning the volume up to accommodate my hearing loss. My ReSound hearing aids will do that and are controlled by my iPhone, but the AirPods sound much better than the hearing aids and I would prefer to use them.

If you have an apple tv with tvOS11 on it you are able to use AirPods with it.

Reactions: hfg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.