Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
just bought another sealed set of airpods from an online market place

Set it up and all working well. When I checked the warranty expiry date on the Apple website- it was showing as April 2018.

Looking at the date of manufacture (03/17) this appears feasible , but why did the warranty period not begin today and therefore expire instead in December 2018? (The item was 100 percent sealed)

Is it just the iPhone and iPad which starts the day you activate? Or only when you buy direct from Apple?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The warranty will be from when the original sale was made from an authorised reseller.

For example, if you buy from Apple it will be from the delivery or pickup date.

If you buy from a non-Apple authorised reseller, you are sometimes to asked to select your purchase date when first checking the warranty status. Providing it seems realistic based on the manufacturing date, the claimed date is usually accepted without proof and this becomes the warranty date.

In your case, it was probably from an unauthorised reseller. Which is fine - as you say, they're sealed, it's no big deal - but technically the warranty started at the time the seller bought it, which in this case seems to be April 2017.

Reactions: dave006

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
just bought another sealed set of airpods from an online market place

Set it up and all working well. When I checked the warranty expiry date on the Apple website- it was showing as April 2018.

Looking at the date of manufacture (03/17) this appears feasible , but why did the warranty period not begin today and therefore expire instead in December 2018? (The item was 100 percent sealed)

Is it just the iPhone and iPad which starts the day you activate? Or only when you buy direct from Apple?

Which country are you in? What Apple offer and what you’re legally entitled to are different.

You bought something from eBay/Facebook Marketplace etc you can’t expect the same warranty as buying direct.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
In the U.K.

When I bought a 7 Plus last year, direct from Apple UK, I kept it sealed for about 3 weeks. The warranty period then started from the day I opened it up and activated it.

Bit disappointing I only have 4 months of warranty on these AirPods. I do wonder if there is any leeway if I had to take it in to store if problems arose after the warranty was finished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.