Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brob82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Ohio
I was hoping someone might know the answer to if the AirPods Case has a water damage indicator on it? I've searched for an answer, but only find stories of what happened to other peoples water damaged AirPods.

Typical story. Was in a rush and forgot my AirPods and charging case were in my pocket. Sent them through the wash. AirPods appear to work. Case is TOAST! I just got them less than a week ago and I'm bummed.

So...wondering if there's a water indicator on them? I don't know if I should come clean about it when I take it to Apple or not. If there's an indicator then that's a no-brainer.

Thanks for any help I get!

brob82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Ohio
I suspect that you'd get a more definitive answer by asking the people who tore them apart here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Teardown/75578

I didn't see that question addressed in the teardown or in the subsequent questions and answers (unless I missed it). So maybe post your question at the bottom of the article.

Yea, I didn't see that addressed in the tearsown either. Kind of what brought me to ask here.

If no water indicator would you go the truthful route?

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
So...wondering if there's a water indicator on them? I don't know if I should come clean about it when I take it to Apple or not. If there's an indicator then that's a no-brainer.

Thanks for any help I get!

If you used a credit card to purchase your AirPods, many include 90 days of accidental damage coverage and may reimburse you for the original cost.

Reactions: flyinmac

brob82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Ohio
If you used a credit card to purchase your AirPods, many include 90 days of accidental damage coverage and may reimburse you for the original cost.

Oh. Good call! Didn't think to try that. Thank you.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yea, I didn't see that addressed in the tearsown either. Kind of what brought me to ask here.

If no water indicator would you go the truthful route?

If it were me, then yes I'd admit what happened.

The alternative is making an @$$ out of oneself when you've already claimed it didn't happen, and they prove to you that it did.

As someone who's worked on a lot of electrical devices, I can tell when water is the culprit, even if no water remains and there aren't any sensors.

There is a distinct appearance that is visible if you know what you're looking for.

Whether they'll be able to determine it onsite, I don't know. Depends on whether they can get inside it. Or if perhaps they can see some indication through the charging connection. And of course, how experienced the tech is.

I've determined water to be the cause of damage to things that I personally know for a fact, never got water on them. Sometimes a bit of moisture in the air is enough. Forms condensation on the circuit board, shorts / bridges a couple contacts, and it's dead. And the trace of the cause is visible if you know what to look for. You can see where it happened.

My television recently died to this cause. An LCD television that never got a spill of any sort. Just poof one day. I opened it up, and inside it was clearly water damage. Might as well have spilled water in it. But it was bone dry when I opened it up (a day after it died).

I looked at the ceiling over it, no indication of moisture. But the television was near a widow that is cold with a heater under it. Just enough moisture it would appear. And yes the window does let cold air through, and sometimes there's moisture on the window (condensation).

So, I'd say you can either be honest. Or, figure out how to handle it when they prove you wrong.

Some techs are very smart. I even had a customer once that kept calling me out to service his computer accessory. I'd never had one of my designs fail before him. So I was curious.

After the 2nd replacement, I added a little trap for him. Not one that would hurt him. Just one that would prove what he was doing.

He complained (quite loudly) when he found my trap. He said I didn't have the right to add it. I told him that he wouldn't have found it if he wasn't inside the device, and that he didn't have the right to tinker inside my equipment if he wanted me to honor the warranty.

I never got another complaint about faulty equipment again after that. And I added that trap to all of my designs from that point forward.

Anyway, it's up to you. And how well you handle being humbled.
[doublepost=1489322037][/doublepost]

That is a good idea. I'd still be honest. But it's a good option to explore.

brob82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Ohio
Ok. So ifixit has responded to me and said there is NO water damage indicator.

That being said, I will come clean with Apple. I was curious what you all would do, but in the end I know I can't actually go through with such a blatant lie. It's fun to entertain the idea though! Haha.

Unfortunately I'm sure I'll get popped with a replacement fee, but it beats feeling anxious wondering if they're going to find you out.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
Ok. So ifixit has responded to me and said there is NO water damage indicator.

That being said, I will come clean with Apple. I was curious what you all would do, but in the end I know I can't actually go through with such a blatant lie. It's fun to entertain the idea though! Haha.

Unfortunately I'm sure I'll get popped with a replacement fee, but it beats feeling anxious wondering if they're going to find you out.

Just come clean. It's not like you stole them or something. Accidents happen. It's better to just tell the truth than lie about it and then feeling guilty later.

brob82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Ohio
Just come clean. It's not like you stole them or something. Accidents happen. It's better to just tell the truth than lie about it and then feeling guilty later.

Yes. I'm going to, like I said. Just a hit that after spending $170 just a few days ago I have to drop another $70 on them.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
My brother dropped his iPhone off a rollercoaster and they liked the story so much they replaced it for free :p You never know, you might get a nice staff help you out lol

Reactions: kaans

brob82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Ohio
My brother dropped his iPhone off a rollercoaster and they liked the story so much they replaced it for free :p You never know, you might get a nice staff help you out lol

I've got my fingers crossed they'll give me some sympathy! Going tomorrow evening to find out my fate.

Reactions: Polaroid

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

That's true to an extent, however, credit card companies are tightening the restrictions and stipulations with what's considered "Accidental" anymore. Mainly due to fraud and the actual costs to the credit card company.

brob82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Ohio
Wanted to update everyone. In case anyone cared, haha.

Just left Apple Store. Made an appointment with the Genius Bar. Came straight out and told him I washed them in the washing machine. He brought out his demo charging case and threw my AirPods in it. Waited about 30 seconds and let me try them. They still worked. Next he tried connecting the case to power to see if it would charge/turn on. Nothing. He checked to see what my options were. Showed me how they were $69 to replace. Then went on to say since they don't have a water damage sensor in them he would just put down that the charger stopped working. That it would no longer turn on or charge. That reason is covered under warranty. So...free replacement case!
[doublepost=1489446281][/doublepost]Oh and I forgot to mention that he said he would have just given me a new one if I would have walked in a said it just didn't work and I didn't know why. So while I got lucky that he was cool and gave me a new one for free. Technically he should have charged. The only way to get a new one would be to tell a little fib.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Just left Apple Store. Made an appointment with the Genius Bar. Came straight out and told him I washed them in the washing machine. He brought out his demo charging case and threw my AirPods in it. Waited about 30 seconds and let me try them. They still worked. Next he tried connecting the case to power to see if it would charge/turn on. Nothing. He checked to see what my options were. Showed me how they were $69 to replace. Then went on to say since they don't have a water damage sensor in them he would just put down that the charger stopped working. That it would no longer turn on or charge. That reason is covered under warranty. So...free replacement case!
[doublepost=1489446281][/doublepost]Oh and I forgot to mention that he said he would have just given me a new one if I would have walked in a said it just didn't work and I didn't know why. So while I got lucky that he was cool and gave me a new one for free. Technically he should have charged. The only way to get a new one would be to tell a little fib.

Glad it worked out for you. And it's always better to have a clear conscience.

Reactions: WichitaMacUser

WichitaMacUser

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2016

I hate to bump a old thread but I work for an AASP and in the visual mechanical inspection guide it says liquid damage/accidental damage is covered under the 1 year warranty. What causes the device to be considered out of warranty is bent pins, broken plastic, or bent bezel. Then there is ineligible for service which would be a disassembled unit or missing part. Catastrophic damage: example caught on fire or ran over by car. Last but not least counterfeit parts.

I actually washed my set of AirPods and they worked for a while then the charging case died. Technically the Apple rep should have replaced everything since liquid damage would call for a whole unit replacement under warranty! Glad you got your charging case covered! For anyone else for future reference remember liquid damage/accidental damage is covered under the one year warranty as long as the unit isn't horribly damaged. Also there isn't any LCI (liquid contact indicators) so technically they wouldn't know if its liquid damage or not since they don't give us technicians a way to open the units.

jq_rich

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
I hate to bump a old thread but I work for an AASP and in the visual mechanical inspection guide it says liquid damage/accidental damage is covered under the 1 year warranty. What causes the device to be considered out of warranty is bent pins, broken plastic, or bent bezel. Then there is ineligible for service which would be a disassembled unit or missing part. Catastrophic damage: example caught on fire or ran over by car. Last but not least counterfeit parts.

I actually washed my set of AirPods and they worked for a while then the charging case died. Technically the Apple rep should have replaced everything since liquid damage would call for a whole unit replacement under warranty! Glad you got your charging case covered! For anyone else for future reference remember liquid damage/accidental damage is covered under the one year warranty as long as the unit isn't horribly damaged. Also there isn't any LCI (liquid contact indicators) so technically they wouldn't know if its liquid damage or not since they don't give us technicians a way to open the units.
[doublepost=1517366014][/doublepost]Amazing post. Thank you, Wichitamacuser.
This just happened (put them through the wash) and nothing is working yet. Got them in a bowl of rice. I will to into the Apple Store and plead ignorance, saying only the case is not charging. They are still under warranty.

milhaus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Aren't the AirPods supposed to be sweat proof? If that's the case, then water damage needs to be covered.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017

I got a free iPhone once when I had a tiny crying baby and her bottle had spilled all over my phone in her diaper bag.

jq_rich

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Aren't the AirPods supposed to be sweat proof? If that's the case, then water damage needs to be covered.
It may be covered. I just got back from the Apple store, and the only thing that needed to be replaced was the charging case, which they did not charge me for. I didn’t mention anything about them going through the washing machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.