Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donrleonard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I brought home a new (to me) 2012 macbook air to replace my 2010 MBA. I had the other macbook air on the network uploading some files to iCloud. As soon as I booted the new MBA up the whole network crashed. (Devices were still connecting to the Airport Extreme ac router, green light, but no internets).

Restarting the router helped only briefly before the problem returned. When I was logging in with the new MBA I'd seen an error that there were two Macbook Airs on the network and that it was changing the name of one of them.

I read somewheres that large upload traffic and lots of devices sometimes overwhelms the airport extreme (huh? not very extreme), so I went around turning off the wireless on iPad, apple tv, and the old MBA. That, plus rebooting the router and the modem, seemed to do the trick for a time, until it didn't anymore.

I've been reading around about DiscoveryD and problems with Bonjour. Will try that angle when I get home.

Any other ideas???

lo100469

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013
Brussels
i would be very surprised that a new device accessing the wifi would be able to crash it. High volumes will slow down connections obviously but the extreme is designed to accommodate multiple devices being connected.
you should check your IPS and connections settings to make sure nothing is wrong.
you could try changing the channel for wifi if the neighbourhood is busy.

Reactions: donrleonard

donrleonard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
i would be very surprised that a new device accessing the wifi would be able to crash it. High volumes will slow down connections obviously but the extreme is designed to accommodate multiple devices being connected.
you should check your IPS and connections settings to make sure nothing is wrong.
you could try changing the channel for wifi if the neighbourhood is busy.

Thanks much for the reply from Brussels! I agree with you, it's damn strange. But it can't be a coincidence that the problem started as soon as I introduced the new macbook.

The signal strength for the wifi channel is solid on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, and I've tried both.

Not sure how to check IPS settings. I'll poke around and see what I can learn about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.