Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guatelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015

guatelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
If they implement the AirPlay protocol in same way, as Apple devices do, then yes.

Thanks for your reply, but due to the fact I'm not very experienced in the AirPlay protocol, can you inform me more what it means.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Regards
Oliver

guatelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
Thanks, but the purpose was to send Airplay audio from my Iphone to transit to one device (Airplay Extreme) which redirects it to the 3 Sony speakers simultaneously.
Regards
Olivier

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I don't use AirPlay (other than for AppleTV). But I believe from within iTunes you could select all 3 speakers at the same time to direct audio to them. I don't think you can do that via any app other than iTunes.

Alternately, you could use an Airport Express (not Extreme), connect a 3.5mm cable to the Express, then add a splitter and 3.5mm cable to each of your 3 speakers. That is a really clunky way to do it though.

You will need to read the Sony documentation as to whether it is possible to do what you want via the Ethernet port. My guess is that it would not be possible via AirPlay but via the Sony software (much like Sonos).

guatelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
Thanks, I was thinking the same clunky way to connect the Express with a 3.5mm cable & splitter.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I don't use AirPlay (other than for AppleTV). But I believe from within iTunes you could select all 3 speakers at the same time to direct audio to them. I don't think you can do that via any app other than iTunes.
You are right! iPhone refuses to output to multiple AirPlay targets simultaneously. Unless there is some clever app to do that.
AFAIK, iTunes needs to resort to some clever techniques to achieve precise audio sync on all devices.

guatelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
You are right! iPhone refuses to output to multiple AirPlay targets simultaneously. Unless there is some clever app to do that.
AFAIK, iTunes needs to resort to some clever techniques to achieve precise audio sync on all devices.

Thanks, for the information, I'm using already the app WHAALE, it is working good but still much configurations & manipulations. The most important element to acquire is the WOL (Wake on Lan) option, my speakers are on network standby, so they go to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity and start up automatically when Airplay is activated from my iPhone, I will try to connect them with both the LAN and the 3.5mm cable coming from the 2nd Gen. Airport Express. I will keep you updated when I order the 2nd Gen. A.E.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012

It's funny. There is another current thread where people are arguing the virtues of AirPlay, specifically against Sonos. 99.9% of the argument is that Sonos is too expensive, particularly from people that already have AirPlay setups. And I get that, if you have something that works for you it is tough to reinvest.

But, and I hate stealing and using this line, but Sonos is the epitome of "it just works".

To the OP, I am not sure if you have a large investment in these Sony speakers, or if they are new and you can return them. But I would highly recommend Sonos if you can make the change.

guatelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
I will confess you that I have the full option Sonos network, but I wish to configure for my kids rooms the old Sony system, instead of giving it away. The Sony has a really good sound and my kids are happy having 2 loudspeakers in each room working with their iPads.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Ah, that changes everything! Throw those Sony speakers on eBay and get a couple of Play:1s and call it a day.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for your information. I will keep you iUpdated ;)
I laugh because you are already invested in Sonos...you will do it eventually...may as well not spend $$$ on the router and put it toward the additional Sonos zones............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.