Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kersey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
So... bear with me.
I have a 6,1 upgraded to the max - components and RAM are available at great prices on eBay right now - and I am investigating eGPU options, with the best so far looking like Apple TB2->TB3 adapter and a standard eGPU housing with an AMD card in.

But some Google:ing made me want to ask if someone has tried a product like this on the 6,1 - or any Mac really;

That is a mPCIe to standard(?) PCI adapter cable meant for connecting a GPU to an internal mPCIe connector.

The 6,1 has it's AirPort card in the lid;

The connector - as I have read and by the look of it;
is a standard mPCIe connector.

Could this cable be used to replace the AirPort card with a eGPU?
What speeds could one expect?
Anyone tried it or know of anyone who has tried it?

Please hold the "Just get a 2018 Mini!" comments. :)

Reactions: Synchro3

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So... bear with me.
I have a 6,1 upgraded to the max - components and RAM are available at great prices on eBay right now - and I am investigating eGPU options, with the best so far looking like Apple TB2->TB3 adapter and a standard eGPU housing with an AMD card in.

But some Google:ing made me want to ask if someone has tried a product like this on the 6,1 - or any Mac really;

That is a mPCIe to standard(?) PCI adapter cable meant for connecting a GPU to an internal mPCIe connector.

The 6,1 has it's AirPort card in the lid;

The connector - as I have read and by the look of it;
is a standard mPCIe connector.

Could this cable be used to replace the AirPort card with a eGPU?
What speeds could one expect?
Anyone tried it or know of anyone who has tried it?

Please hold the "Just get a 2018 Mini!" comments. :)
If I remember correctly, it's just one PCIe lane for the AirPort connector. Your application would work with just one lane of PCIe 2.0?

People doing cryptocurrency can live with just one lane, but you can't if you want to render/encode/etc.
[automerge]1573162163[/automerge]
Correction, it's just one lane of PCIe 1.0, see down right:

late-2013-mac-pro-system-block-diagram.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.