Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larryleveen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Several years ago, I got a Time Capsule and I like it (the old form factor). Recently, I was researching a graduation gift to get for my nephew (laptop and auto-backup solution). I was surprised to see that on Apple's site, that the current Time Capsule gets pretty lousy reviews from customers.

http://apple.co/2sTnHNc

Has something changed? Was there a run of bad units or other QC issue? Or have they always had a spotty record and I just lucked out? My unit is a 2TB, which on Amazon, got significantly better reviews than the 1TB first generation unit.

Any constructive thoughts on that issue -- as well as whether the current units are OK would be appreciated. Thanks.

larryleveen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
The Apple router has died at Apple: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/21/apple-ceases-airport-wireless/

Apple is not developing Apple Extremes or Time Capsules anymore sense 2016!

Doesn't mean the units are bad -- per my post and questions. Maybe Apple is working on getting routing and NAS technologies into a future HomePod (or whatever it's called).

Or perhaps they are finally going to allow Time Machine to point to iCloud. That might get me to finally pay for iCloud. Right now iCloud seems like a service to back up a few important things like contacts, calendars, notes, and than the incessant pix people are taking of themselves and their meals :-/

But I digress.

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Doesn't mean the units are bad -- per my post and questions. Maybe Apple is working on getting routing and NAS technologies into a future HomePod (or whatever it's called).

Or perhaps they are finally going to allow Time Machine to point to iCloud. That might get me to finally pay for iCloud. Right now iCloud seems like a service to back up a few important things like contacts, calendars, notes, and than the incessant pix people are taking of themselves and their meals :-/

But I digress.

Yea but I politely disagree the Time Capsule latest technology is 2013! So you should get a Netgear with Time Machine capable.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Has something changed? Was there a run of bad units or other QC issue? Or have they always had a spotty record and I just lucked out? My unit is a 2TB, which on Amazon, got significantly better reviews than the 1TB first generation unit.

I bought the 2013 Time Capsule when it came out and it has performed quite well since. If I needed to replace it I would get the Airport Extreme instead as I have moved to offsite backups for the data that used to go on the Time Capsule.

I have seen it behave a bit strangely once or twice and that was solved by a reboot (it is on a UPS so it has uptimes measured in years).

A.

Reactions: larryleveen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.