Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to activate air print on a Canon PIXMA printer.

I had a $150 Canon PIXMA printer before and as far as I remember I never had to activate anything on the printer. I simply clicked on print on my mac and searched for printers, found the device and that was about it.

Gave that printer to someone who needed it and decided to buy a cheaper one for myself now.

The new Canon Pixma printer was not found when searching for printers. Looked at tutorials and found out how to make the Wifi of the printer visible to my mac and connected to said Wifi. The problem is that when I am connected to the printer Wifi, I am logged out of my regular internet wifi and vice versa. So, I always need to switch Wifis to print or to use the internet.

Is there a setting I did not see or a trick to be able to keep the internet connection and print? I guess I am using wireless printing now and not really AirPrint because I don't recall ever setting up a wifi connection on the old Canon PIXMA printer.

generallystupid

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
I think it's because the newer models always try to "improve" and add features so there's no way around this except, if you didn't install any drivers (automatically or manually) it might be worth a shot to search, download and install those drivers on your MB.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
What you're doing is creating a local/adhoc network between the Mac and printer. You need to connect the printer to your Wi-Fi network instead. Then your Mac should be able to discover it and be able to AirPrint without having to lose your internet connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.