Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
I share custody with my kids 50/50 and want to get both children an AirTag for their backpacks. If I give them each an AirTag, what will happen when they are away from me for a few days? Will it start making noise as if they're being "tracked?"

Both kids have iPads that are logged into an Apple ID under my family sharing plan at both locations. Would that help signal that they're not randomly being tracked?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I believe if they have family sharing accounts tied to you, then they’ll receive notifications that you can disable.

have you considered using traditional collars instead, or like an Apple Watch for tracking instead?

Reactions: Breezygirl

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
It’s more their backpacks I want to track. In case they forget them or lose them at school/aftercare/the bus, etc.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
It’s more their backpacks I want to track. In case they forget them or lose them at school/aftercare/the bus, etc.
How about having the AirTags tied to their devices? Couldn’t you always log into their accounts to view the tags?

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
How about having the AirTags tied to their devices? Couldn’t you always log into their accounts to view the tags?
That would work, but does it get tied to the device or their AppleID? Meaning, if they pair it with their iPad here, does their iPad at her house then take over so it doesn’t think it’s stalking?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Theoretically, if you bind the airtag to THEIR apple accounts, then it would work and not beep as the airtags should be in range of their iPads once a day. Your ex might get the "stalker" warning, but if she is aware of the airtags it should not be an issue and she can perma-dismiss the warning.

Reactions: Spaceboy88

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Theoretically, if you bind the airtag to THEIR apple accounts, then it would work and not beep as the airtags should be in range of their iPads once a day. Your ex might get the "stalker" warning, but if she is aware of the airtags it should not be an issue and she can perma-dismiss the warning.
Question is will others around her the kids get the stalker warning - eg teachers. If the AirTag cannot detect its owner then it will alert everyone in its direct vicinity , no?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Question is will others around her the kids get the stalker warning - eg teachers. If the AirTag cannot detect its owner then it will alert everyone in its direct vicinity , no?
I’m still not 100% sure how AirTags work but don’t you get the stalker warning when you arrive home and that AirTag is still with you

I haven’t gone on an AirTag testing rampage. Just going by what others are reporting.

My kids are seven and five and gave them each an AirTag to put in their pockets, tied to my AppleID, just in case. Curious what the behavior will be. Lots of evil in the world.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I’m still not 100% sure how AirTags work but don’t you get the stalker warning when you arrive home and that AirTag is still with you

I haven’t gone on an AirTag testing rampage. Just going by what others are reporting.

My kids are seven and five and gave them each an AirTag to put in their pockets, tied to my AppleID, just in case. Curious what the behavior will be. Lots of evil in the world.
Please share your experiences because I too would like to use these tags with my kids however I’m unsure how things will pan out if they don’t have an iPhone with them that is tied to the tag.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Please share your experiences because I too would like to use these tags with my kids however I’m unsure how things will pan out if they don’t have an iPhone with them that is tied to the tag.
My kids had their first day of school today since I AirTagged them. Didn’t get a call from the school regarding them pinging all day so I assume they didn’t but I can’t be sure that the school staff weren’t getting random stalker alerts either lol. I believe the AirTag has to follow them to their residence for stalker alerts to start appearing, going by the reports. I was able to see that they were at school all day with the “Find My” app which is phenomenal! They didn’t have an iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, etc on them and their AirTags are tied to my AppleID.

My wife on the other hand was upset that she couldn’t see them too. Apple needs to fix this Family Sharing thing, or lack thereof.

Reactions: lordhamster

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
"I'm really worried about my kids but i am not going to spend $100 on a tracker thats always active and shows GPS coordinates, instead I"ll save $70 and rely on happenstance of people with iPhones being nearby when they are kidnapped" is what half these "I wanna track my kids" posts work out to.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
"I'm really worried about my kids but i am not going to spend $100 on a tracker thats always active and shows GPS coordinates, instead I"ll save $70 and rely on happenstance of people with iPhones being nearby when they are kidnapped" is what half these "I wanna track my kids" posts work out to.
What about the other half? What do those work out to? I’m just curious where I fall in on your chart, old wise one.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
The other half still seem to be under the misapprehension that this is an active gps tracking device that transmits detailed coordinates in real time.
You can classify yourself as to which half you fall into.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ah ok I get it now. You’re a little upset that you spent 100’s of dollars on large GPS trackers when you could’ve gotten these for 1/3 of the price. Also you realized now that some third party has access to your all your GPS trackers’ locations in their app. You’re also upset that you realized GPS isn’t very reliable in every location. It’s ok, you’re mad at yourself, not us. I forgive you.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I share custody with my kids 50/50 and want to get both children an AirTag for their backpacks. If I give them each an AirTag, what will happen when they are away from me for a few days? Will it start making noise as if they're being "tracked?"

Both kids have iPads that are logged into an Apple ID under my family sharing plan at both locations. Would that help signal that they're not randomly being tracked?
I would recommend asking a lawyer first. You're talking about tracking the whereabouts of the kids while they are on the private property and whereabouts of their other legal custodian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.