Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
New York
I set up 3 new Airtags on my iPhone 12 Pro. Working perfectly, precision finding working and guides me to each airtag as it's supposed to, and can also trigger them to play a sound. Also set up 3 different Airtags on my wife's iPhone 12 Pro and they're working perfectly too. Both phones are running iOS 14.5.1

The next day I'm demonstrating them to my sister and precision finding won't work. It just says 'Connected. signal is weak. Try moving to a different location' and displays the pattern of moving dots as if it's trying to locate the Airtag. It does this will all 3 of my Airtags even if I'm holding the phone right next to them. I've restarted the phone, deleted the Airtags from the phone and re-added them and taken the battery out of the Airtags and reinstalled but still the same message. I can play a sound on the Airtags though. My wife's are still working perfectly with precision finding.

I'm thinking it's a problem with my phone as it's the same with all 3 Airtags. Unlikely to be a hardware issue as it was working when I first got them. Don't really want the hassle of resetting the phone or the network settings.

As a further test, I removed one of the Airtags from my phone and added it to my wife's. Precision finding with her phone worked fine with it. Removed it from hers and added it back to mine and precision finding still says the signal is weak and precision finding won't work.

Checked in settings. Privacy - Location Services - Find My 'Precise Location' is enabled.

Tried it with wifi turned off and with mobile data turned off too.

Turned the phone off for half an hour. Same problem when I turned it back on.

Rol@nd

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2017
I set up 3 new Airtags on my iPhone 12 Pro. Working perfectly, precision finding working and guides me to each airtag as it's supposed to, and can also trigger them to play a sound. Also set up 3 different Airtags on my wife's iPhone 12 Pro and they're working perfectly too. Both phones are running iOS 14.5.1

The next day I'm demonstrating them to my sister and precision finding won't work. It just says 'Connected. signal is weak. Try moving to a different location' and displays the pattern of moving dots as if it's trying to locate the Airtag. It does this will all 3 of my Airtags even if I'm holding the phone right next to them. I've restarted the phone, deleted the Airtags from the phone and re-added them and taken the battery out of the Airtags and reinstalled but still the same message. I can play a sound on the Airtags though. My wife's are still working perfectly with precision finding.

I'm thinking it's a problem with my phone as it's the same with all 3 Airtags. Unlikely to be a hardware issue as it was working when I first got them. Don't really want the hassle of resetting the phone or the network settings.

As a further test, I removed one of the Airtags from my phone and added it to my wife's. Precision finding with her phone worked fine with it. Removed it from hers and added it back to mine and precision finding still says the signal is weak and precision finding won't work.

Checked in settings. Privacy - Location Services - Find My 'Precise Location' is enabled.

Tried it with wifi turned off and with mobile data turned off too.

Turned the phone off for half an hour. Same problem when I turned it back on.
Same here. Worked fine for a couple of hours. Now I can be 10 inch. from the Airtag. No precision finding anymore.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Same. It just doesn’t work anymore. Would be nice if the speaker was a little louder to mitigate the awful precision finding experience. Trying to find my keys in the house is useless with this thing.

Rol@nd

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2017
Did some further tests. By changing the room where I did my Airtags precision finding started to work again. I suspect some kind of interference ….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.