Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scsskid

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
This is my first idea of attaching it on one of my bikes, while I know its not designed ad an anti theft device primarily.

Air tag wrapped in a cut old tube
attached to a wahoo (bike computer) mount with cable strips

IMG_8495.jpeg
IMG_8496.jpeg
IMG_8494.jpeg

note: pictured is a additional non activated airtag, I guess everyone knows to pull tab to activate

please post other ideas here

happy riding!

Reactions: Azzin

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
These are cool to see.

I don't lose a lot of stuff, but throwing one of these on the kids' bikes, especially while they're in college presumably surrounded by iPhones, is something I'm considering even though that's not an intended purpose. It will be interesting to see how this works, even though ideally it wouldn't ever be needed.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
These are cool to see.

I don't lose a lot of stuff, but throwing one of these on the kids' bikes, especially while they're in college presumably surrounded by iPhones, is something I'm considering even though that's not an intended purpose. It will be interesting to see how this works, even though ideally it wouldn't ever be needed.

I stuck one on my kidā€™s bike under the seat and I can even see where he is as he goes around the neighborhood (with some gaps) with his friendsā€¦there are so many Apple devices in peoples homes, cars, and pockets, that I have a general idea of where he is.

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I modified my airtag by removing the speaker. Now itā€™s a better anti-theft device. Not perfect, but better.

I followed the steps here

Attaching picture of removed speaker. Airtag is now placed under the saddle again!

Attachments

• 05CBCE30-1A14-4936-AC45-DF525685EAA1.jpeg
    05CBCE30-1A14-4936-AC45-DF525685EAA1.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 404

scsskid

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
great thanks for sharing, I will look into that

I also ordered black tape :D

iLoveDeveloping

Suspended
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
I modified my airtag by removing the speaker. Now itā€™s a better anti-theft device. Not perfect, but better.

I followed the steps here

Attaching picture of removed speaker. Airtag is now placed under the saddle again!
WHAT?? Thatā€™s all kinds of James Bond man! ? Nice moveā€¦ ??

Reactions: haruhiko

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Followingā€¦I have four expensive bikes and have been thinking about the potential of AirTags for this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't understand placing air tags on bikes? They're not anti-theft devices, but rather a product that allows you to find misplaced items. A thief will simply remove the air tags

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I don't understand placing air tags on bikes? They're not anti-theft devices, but rather a product that allows you to find misplaced items. A thief will simply remove the air tags
Maybe. Maybe not. Some thieves are not very bright (maybe why they're thieves).

I've also been thinking about ways to make it more stealthy, less obvious. In any case, $29 is nothing to invest when the least expensive of my bikes is about $3k to replace. If the bike gets stolen and the AirTag doesn't help locate it, the loss of the latter probably won't matter much to me.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Maybe. Maybe not. Some thieves are not very bright (maybe why they're thieves).

I've also been thinking about ways to make it more stealthy, less obvious. In any case, $29 is nothing to invest when the least expensive of my bikes is about $3k to replace. If the bike gets stolen and the AirTag doesnt help locate it, the loss of the latter probably won't matter much to me.

I had a Tile on one of my bikes. It never seemed to work. When I tried to get it to work, it did nothing. Apparently dead battery.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I am hoping that as more products become available with Find My integration that there will be specific bike products. I am thinking that a stem cap would work well (obviously would need some sort of alternative to the star nut to tension the headset, but they exist now).

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
I am hoping that as more products become available with Find My integration that there will be specific bike products. I am thinking that a stem cap would work well (obviously would need some sort of alternative to the star nut to tension the headset, but they exist now).
That's got me thinking. What about adapting the plugs that fit in the ends of the handlebars?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
If they find them; it's a hassle if it's hidden inside the frame, especially with the speaker-mod.

If a bike is stolen by someone just to get home then the tracker will eventually lead the owner to where it was then dumped. If the bike is stolen "professionally" by thieves with a van who take expensive bikes at night to resell later, then the tracker may help police find them.

Even if not, at $29 or equivalent, the tracker is a small extra cost to replacing the stolen bike. My front light cost more than the tracker, as did simple things like the handlebar grips.

I once spent half an hour trying to find my bike after I forgot where I'd locked it, as I was in a bar I regularly go to, and always lock my bike in the same place. Apart from that one time :)

Reactions: Tenkaykev and flur

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
Isnā€™t an Airtag on a bike sort of useless as a theft deterrent since it will notify the thief via an audible beep, or am I wrong on this?

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
I live in Amsterdam, airtags are extremely useful when finding my bike when parked in a large bike rack like we have at central station.

there are multiple bike parks like this below. An airtag will save me a lot of time remembering where my bike is when parked in one of these
36E1257D-B1BE-4CE1-ABCE-8CB798EDEBE0.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.