Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2021
I live in a no cell service area. Have Satellite internet (no not Starlink….yet). I cannot ever get my iPhone 11 Pro to show the precise location of the AirTags (shows the general location) Was on wondering if the U1 chip in the phone works with the cell networks topinpointing the AirTags.

bangak

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Alaska
Same boat here. What’s really weird is that if you go somewhere with cell service they’ll start working correctly and will continue to do so for a while after arriving back at your house without cell service. So they clearly don’t need cell service to work.

sves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2021
Same boat here. What’s really weird is that if you go somewhere with cell service they’ll start working correctly and will continue to do so for a while after arriving back at your house without cell service. So they clearly don’t need cell service to work.
Interesting how long do they work for after being back from cell service

bangak

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Alaska
Interesting how long do they work for after being back from cell service
I’m not totally sure but at least 30 minutes. I came back home with two airtags that had been within cell range and I figured they were now fixed after testing them. The other two which I’d left home were still only showing “directions.”

I checked them again a few hours later and they had all switched back to “directions.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.