Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rajansha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2016
Hello Guys,

I own a MacBook Air mid-2014 (non-retina) 128 GB. Recently there was an update in macOS 10.12.x.
I left my laptop for update overnight and found to be dead on morning.

Went to apple care and came to know that my SSD is dead! Well, I thought it may be a co-incidence that the SSD died just after OS update ( as OS update is a software stuff and shouldn't be affecting the hardware issues).

Due to apple's high charges, I collected my laptop and got a second-hand SSD installed from local vendor (he took out the SSD from another mac air in front of me).

Well the laptop seems fine and working smooth till I updated it AGAIN ! DAMN !

The SSD again died after update !!!!

Well now I am confused what is the reason, how can a software update crash a SSD.

My laptop doesn't boot at all, I have tried the troubleshooting points mentioned on forum and other websites.
(Doesn't even boot in safe mood)

Anyone with similar experience or advise what to do ?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Hello Guys,

I own a MacBook Air mid-2014 (non-retina) 128 GB. Recently there was an update in macOS 10.12.x.
I left my laptop for update overnight and found to be dead on morning.

Went to apple care and came to know that my SSD is dead! Well, I thought it may be a co-incidence that the SSD died just after OS update ( as OS update is a software stuff and shouldn't be affecting the hardware issues).

Due to apple's high charges, I collected my laptop and got a second-hand SSD installed from local vendor (he took out the SSD from another mac air in front of me).

Well the laptop seems fine and working smooth till I updated it AGAIN ! DAMN !

The SSD again died after update !!!!

Well now I am confused what is the reason, how can a software update crash a SSD.

My laptop doesn't boot at all, I have tried the troubleshooting points mentioned on forum and other websites.
(Doesn't even boot in safe mood)

Anyone with similar experience or advise what to do ?

Have you tried a clean install? Sounds corrupted at the startup volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.