Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarrylFest93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Montgomery,GA
Hello all,
I noticed the other day that when I Get Info on any Apple installed app

But none of my other apps are messed with. just the apple default software, things like Safari, DVD Player and so on all the way into my Utilities folder and changed any apple utility like Disk utility and so on to the same.
This is what I get when I get info on any of those apps now:

Name Privilege
everyone Custom (and it is grayed out and I can't remove or change it)
system Read & Write
wheel Read only
everyone Read only

But if I hit the Unlock icon to enter my admin password, it does let me change things or appears to. But I cannot delete the Everyone entry or set them to have it like it normally does. At least I'm pretty sure this is not the normal way that it looks, Is It ?
I thought it usually would show my admin name as the main one. I don't really know I only recently updated to El Capitan.

I tried running the old Fix Permissions command from the terminal command line and it didn't do much. It listed some things but not my apps. I repaired it any way but my problem is still with the apps unless this is the normal permission setting? It seems off that it would use Custom as the main top permission and not just like System, if that's what apple wanted them set to. Am I right about this?

I did search for answers first but nothing exactly like my situation came up that I could find & I would be thankful for anyones help or confirmation if this is how apple wants things. thank you!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The permissions that you see in the Get Info window, as you report them, are quite normal.
I just double-checked on a fresh, unmodified system, and the permissions on the Apple native apps are exactly as you listed them.
Other, non-Apple apps show with this use with read & write permissions, admin with read-only, and "everyone" also with read-only.
Those are normal defaults, except for the Apple-native apps, which include the custom settings for "everyone", system has Read & Write, and wheel/everyone have Read-only permissions.
So, unless you have some realistic need to change those settings, best to leave them alone.

Reactions: madrich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.