Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I love Apple so much!

Yet, since two days ago I have the weirdest and most unpleasant experience with charging my Apple devices. On the same day two iPhones (SE and 7) and iWatch3 stopped charging completely with any non Apple chargers. iPhone 7 shows "device incompatible..." pop-up, iPhone SE and iWatch just doesn't charge. I tried four chargers that used to work perfectly (car charger including), yet, suddenly NONE of them works!

How is it possible??? Did Apple update secretly the software not to charge with non Apple chargers?

Both iPhones use the latest iOS (iOS 12.2).

Restarting doesn't change anything.

There is more. After all this devices started acting weird even with Apple charger: iPhone SE charges perfectly; iPhone 7 only charges up to 2 - 10 %; iWatch just stays dead, it doesn't charge.

I wonder is there any explanation to this? Or my chargers need an exorcist? :)

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Non MFI cables can stop working with software updates. Also when it says not charging, it may be trickle charging. You should use MFI certified cables to avoid these issues.

I can't explain why they wouldn't charge with the original charger though...

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Not that I know for fact, but it almost seems like Apple updated something on the phones to disable third party chargers. Camera manufacturers do this with chargers, batteries, flash units and lenses all the time.

Reactions: Ben777

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Not that I know for fact, but it almost seems like Apple updated something on the phones to disable third party chargers. Camera manufacturers do this with chargers, batteries, flash units and lenses all the time.

Did this happen to you too?

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I have seen articles on non-Apple chargers damaging components inside. To the point the product doesn't turn on. This seems to be the most likely reason. Not, sure of any updates.

Ben777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Thank you all very much for advices and insights.

The update: iPhone charges only when switched off. It does not charge when switched on. Does anyone had similar situation and solved it?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I swear it’s weird stuff like this that makes me think there really are things like gremlins that get into electronics and make them go haywire all at the same time. I read a short story to that effect at some point in my life. I think it was by Stephen King but I don’t know for sure. Good luck getting it all fixed.

An exorcist may be required. But sometimes it’s sufficient to sacrifice a pocket calculator under the light of a full moon.

Ben777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I swear it’s weird stuff like this that makes me think there really are things like gremlins that get into electronics and make them go haywire all at the same time. I read a short story to that effect at some point in my life. I think it was by Stephen King but I don’t know for sure. Good luck getting it all fixed.

An exorcist may be required. But sometimes it’s sufficient to sacrifice a pocket calculator under the light of a full moon.

These were exactly my thoughts :D :D :D

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.