Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Took the plunge to Big Sur last night and the upgrade seemed to go well. No delays or hangs as reported by some.

However, I do have one big problem: All of my Address Book and Calendar entries have been duplicated.

Obviously, this relates to iCloud, but I'm not sure of the fix. All help appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: StarchMD

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Edit: Actually, this is only affecting my Address Book. The duplicates I saw in Calendar were all birthdays being generated twice because of the duplicate entries in Address Book.

Any ideas on resetting Address Book? Thanks.

AlteMac

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
New York suburb
In Contacts go to the top menu and find "Card, then "Look for Duplicates". It will give you the ability to merge all the duplicates.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
In Contacts go to the top menu and find "Card, then "Look for Duplicates". It will give you the ability to merge all the duplicates.
Thanks. I had tried that and, oddly, it only returned three duplicates, even though ~400 entries had been duplicated exactly.

I solved this by logging in at iCloud.com, where I discovered the Big Sur update had uploaded a vCard into Contacts with an exact copy of my Contacts. Deleting that eliminated all of the dupes.

Reactions: StarchMD and tsiho

tsiho

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2021
Germany
Thanks for this. I deleted all duplicate cards in my contacts in iCloud but the duplicate birthday issue remains in iCal.

MTO

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2021
I updated 3 of my computers from Mojave to Big Sur, and then found I had 6 - 8 duplicate copies of every entry in my Calendar and Contacts files.
I saw the suggestion to delete an uploaded vCard file(s), but couldn't see where I'd find that in iCloud. And then also found my databases for those programs were offline for servicing on Apple's end.
I wouldn't think Apple would make simple but big mistake like that

- MTO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.