Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sakusha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Hi,

I have an iPhone 6S plus with version 9.3.2 (currently up to date) and yesterday out of nowhere my music just randomly disappeared off my iPhone, i had about 1400 songs on it and every single one just vanished, so I restarted my phone hoping they would come back but when i restarted it (I also even restarted it by holding down the home and power button) and when it came back on my music was still gone, I also made the "show apple music" option on in hopes that it would work, which it didn't, my purchased songs are on there but its telling me i need wifi to play them (meaning i basically have to re-download every single one) and my mp3s songs are just simply gone with no trace of them. I know I could just re-sync my music back on there but i recently upgraded my Macbook Pro with a new SSD drive and essentially started with a brand new laptop so I didn't set up iTunes on my new hard drive.

Does anyone know how get my music back? so far the only option I see is to re-download every single song and dig into my Time Machine back up of my old hard drive for my other songs but I really shouldn't have to considering my iPhone just got rid of all my music out of the blue.

I should also mention I didn't drop it or installed anything on it, I just simply took my phone out of my pocket to play some music which i was listening to a few hours before and boom, all my music was gone.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi,

I have an iPhone 6S plus with version 9.3.2 (currently up to date) and yesterday out of nowhere my music just randomly disappeared off my iPhone, i had about 900 songs on it and every single one just vanished, so I restarted my phone hoping they would come back but when i restarted it (I also even restarted it by holding down the home and power button) and when it came back on my music was still gone, I also made the "show apple music" option on in hopes that it would work, which it didn't, my purchased songs are on there but its telling me i need wifi to play them (meaning i basically have to re-download every single one) and my mp3s songs are just simply gone with no trace of them. I know I could just re-sync my music back on there but i recently upgraded my Macbook Pro with a new SSD drive and essentially started with a brand new laptop so I didn't set up iTunes on my new hard drive.

Does anyone know how get my music back? so far the only option I see is to re-download every single song and dig into my Time Machine back up of my old hard drive for my other songs but I really shouldn't have to considering my iPhone just got rid of all my music out of the blue.

I should also mention I didn't drop it or installed anything on it, I just simply took my phone out of my pocket to play some music which i was listening to a few hours before and boom, all my music was gone.
Please describe phone & OS. Are you an :apple:Music subscriber? iTunes Match subscriber?

Sakusha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Please describe phone & OS. Are you an :apple:Music subscriber? iTunes Match subscriber?

My iPhone is a Gold colored iPhone 6s Plus, 64 GB (I had about 20-ish GB left before this happened) its on iOS version 9.3.2, and no I am not an Apple Music or an iTunes Match subscriber.
[doublepost=1466964072][/doublepost]Also I did a more in-depth look into my iPhone storage and it appears that the 1400 songs that were on my phone were absolutely deleted.

Last edited:

kinchee87

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
New Zealand
This exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I had paused my music and put my phone to sleep. Over the span of 10 min, I woke up my phone thrice to check on the time. After that, I went back into my Music app and found that all my custom playlists and songs were gone. I restarted my phone in case it was a bug with the music app, but no my playlists and songs didn't reappear. I went to Settings > General > About and saw that I had zero songs (available memory was higher because of deleted songs). I couldn't find a solution and had to resync my songs with iTunes. Some songs are still missing from my custom playlists.

My phone is a 64GB iPhone SE and was running iOS 9.3.1

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi,

I have an iPhone 6S plus with version 9.3.2 (currently up to date) and yesterday out of nowhere my music just randomly disappeared off my iPhone, i had about 1400 songs on it and every single one just vanished, so I restarted my phone hoping they would come back but when i restarted it (I also even restarted it by holding down the home and power button) and when it came back on my music was still gone, I also made the "show apple music" option on in hopes that it would work, which it didn't, my purchased songs are on there but its telling me i need wifi to play them (meaning i basically have to re-download every single one) and my mp3s songs are just simply gone with no trace of them. I know I could just re-sync my music back on there but i recently upgraded my Macbook Pro with a new SSD drive and essentially started with a brand new laptop so I didn't set up iTunes on my new hard drive.

This may help:
http://www.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

Or this maybe:
http://www.imore.com/apple-music-didnt-delete-anyones-library-itunes-1233-sure-might-have

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I had the exact same issue a couple of months ago. My solution was deleting iTunes library on device and sync back. Pretty straightforward although definitely time consuming.

Sorry for double posts but Tapatalk does not merge posts. I post this on iOS 10 beta 1.

Sakusha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I ended up speaking to a senior Apple advisor yesterday over the phone and he told me he hadn't seen anything like this, he then said the best option is to re-sync my phone. But since I got a new SSD I need to dig into my Time Machine backup for my old iTunes media which is a job in itself, oh well, if it must be done. He also said he will put a notice up to his higher-ups just in case more cases like mine show up. So from the sounds of it, it looked like an internal glitch within the phone itself.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Thanks for the replies, I ended up speaking to a senior Apple advisor yesterday over the phone and he told me he hadn't seen anything like this, he then said the best option is to re-sync my phone. But since I got a new SSD I need to dig into my Time Machine backup for my old iTunes media which is a job in itself, oh well, if it must be done. He also said he will put a notice up to his higher-ups just in case more cases like mine show up. So from the sounds of it, it looked like an internal glitch within the phone itself.
That really sucks. Sorry I pasted unhelpful links; it appears as if I was a bit hasty on that front.

Glad you got to speak with a senior advisor. Hope it all works out.

julescilib

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
Canada
Hey , same just happened to me. bluetooth on, switched from radio to bluetooth in my car and everything disappeared. Gonna have to re sync now.... iphone se 9.3.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.