Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
There are a few small particles on the inside of my AFS Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G. I am not amused. How big of a deal is this?

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
It's not a big deal. You'll likely never see them in an image. Sensor dust will show up when using small apertures but I have never seen lens dust bad enough that it shows up in an image.

The 18-135 lens is not sealed so as you zoom in and out, it can suck dust particles inside of it.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
There are a few small particles on the inside of my AFS Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G. I am not amused. How big of a deal is this?

It won't be any problem at all, provided they're small. They are so far out of the focal plane at minimum focus that it's inconsequential. It happens to all non-sealed zooms, given enough time.

This is what keeps me up at night... Wondering "how in the hell does dust get inside the lens?"

When most zooms zoom, a vacuum is created. The exception to this rule are those that have internal zooming mechanisms and are sealed.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer a solution to your problem, but I did want to state that I really like your thread title.

He must be from Kansas.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Duuuuuuuuust in the lens.

All we are in dust in the lennnnns (dust in the lens)

Sorry, what? Oh, right!

If you cannot see it in the pictures this shouldn't be a problem other than the simple fact that dust is getting in there somehow. Make sure to always have caps on both ends at all times at this point and if it is getting in somewhere else it's a fairly large problem.

If you can see it on the pictures you may want to send it in to Nikon.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.