Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Here are some of my recent photos. My emphasis is architecture, cityscapes, events and street scenes.

IMG_4958+copy.jpg

IMG_4973+copy.jpg

IMG_5044+copy.jpg

IMG_7669+copy.jpg

IMG_7690+copy.jpg

IMG_7693+copy.jpg

IMG_7614_3_2+copy.jpg

IMG_7137_6_5+copy.jpg

IMG_7167+copy.jpg

IMG_7178+copy.jpg

IMG_7208+copy.jpg

IMG_7228+copy.jpg

IMG_7395_4_3+copy.jpg

IMG_7472-1.jpg

IMG_7477-1.jpg

IMG_7502-1.jpg

IMG_7513-1.jpg

IMG_7535-1.jpg

IMG_7552-1.jpg

IMG_7590-1.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Yup... an enjoyable selection of pictures. Good eye... great colour. But I agree, too, that the HDR needs to be toned dowen a bit... so it adds a 'certain something' rather than scream 'HDR' (for example, I can barely look at the pink house with blue/black sky! it actually hurts my eyes...).

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
Those are really great but I'm not so sure about that third one.
Watch some of the ones with dark clouds because they will move a persons eye away from the whole picture and more towards a black spot on the picture.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
While the original photographs may have been good from the get-go, IMHO too much manipulation has spoiled their appeal. You seem to have a good eye for composition and subjects, why not try presenting your work as it was originally shot rather than getting too carried away with HDR, Orton and other techniques? A little of that kind of thing goes a VERY long way!

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I agree with the other posters – could you post the original shots, unedited? Would be cool to see the comparison :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They're enjoyable but the post processing got old midway. I'd like to see more without all the heavy post processing.
Also, where were these taken?

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I agree with most people here. The photos themselves, in terms of content, composition etc are for the most part very nice. I'm a huge fan and proponent of post-processing, but these have been taken a touch far. Maybe forget about the "techniques" and do things like simple levels, curves, colour editing etc. See where that gets you.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
You've got some nice shots in there and should consider joining the "Picture of the Day..." thread.

I'm not quite sure if I am a fan of the Orton technique on architectural shots, but you do have some nice HDR shots in there, my favorite being number four.

Like Clix Pix said, over-processing with Orton and HDR can ruin your original photos that might have not needed as much post processing as you gave them. I look forward to seeing some more of your work.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
i agree they are nice. just work on your framing and composition. Some of your photos could be a bit brighter. And some of the people are distracting. And straighten the Plane photo. its crooked. sorry its my OCD kickin in.
Yet very nice photos.

little less HDR. not everything has to have the fuzzzz:)

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
wow those are good. Some of them look almost dreamlike in quality, almost like they are more real than reality itself. I wish they were big enough for my desktop background :).

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Whoa, dude those are some fantastic ones. The originals were just as impressive, I suspect - but you have a knack for p/p which makes them pop out even more on most of the images... would love to see more, including originals.:)

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Thanks for the feedback everyone...

And some of the people are distracting.

The people are a distraction? Like I said at the beginning, I concentrate on cityscapes and street scenes, and people are often a component.

IMG_0410+copy.jpg

And straighten the Plane photo. its crooked. sorry its my OCD kickin in.

It doesn't look crooked to me.

I'm not quite sure if I am a fan of the Orton technique on architectural shots...

Sometimes Orton works great on architecture in my opinion; not all the time of course, but sometimes. An example:

IMG_7372_1_0+copy.jpg

--------------------------------

Anyway - I am an HDR addict, I admit. It is sooo much fun. I'll post some slightly older photos where the HDR tone mapping was less pronounced.

IMG_4409+copy.jpg

IMG_4436+copy.jpg

IMG_4474+copy.jpg

Also, I have some HDRs where, in my opinion, hardly anyone would guess right off hand that it's HDR (but I use it anyway because it often helps reveal minute architectural details not normally evinced in a standard photograph.) These are both HDR:

IMG_8005+copy.jpg

IMG_8005+copy2BW.jpg

And for comparison, these are HDR tone mapped to the Nth degree, and I love them:

IMG_0229_30_31_32_33_34_35+copy.jpg

IMG_0352_3_4_5_6_7+copy.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
You've nailed the point: you're an HDR addict. But, while it works for some shots, what I like to see is a 'good picture' rather than a 'good technique'. If it's not immediately obvious whether a pic is manipulated... then that's the kind of pic that will appeal to me.

I used HDR yesterday, when shooting the interior of a dark 17th century hall, full of wood pannelling. I wanted to get some detail into the shadows, and the light coming through the windows. The pix don't scream 'HDR'... the technique just made it possible to get the pix I wanted.

I've used HDR on landscapes... with mixed results. Sometimes it seems to work... sometimes it doesn't (and I'm still learning how to tell the difference). Deep blue skies don't seem to work (for me, anyway...): it seems to go lighter and darker around anything, like trees or buildings, that appear against the sky. And strange things happen around telephone wires (as in your pic of the railway bridge).

Extreme conditions - stormy skies, sunsets - seem to take well to HDR. Like chilli powder in cooking... it's best used with discretion... :)

Attachments

• Swarthmoor Hall2.jpg
    Swarthmoor Hall2.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 81

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
You've nailed the point: you're an HDR addict. But, while it works for some shots, what I like to see is a 'good picture' rather than a 'good technique'. If it's not immediately obvious whether a pic is manipulated... then that's the kind of pic that will appeal to me.

I used HDR yesterday, when shooting the interior of a dark 17th century hall, full of wood pannelling. I wanted to get some detail into the shadows, and the light coming through the windows. The pix don't scream 'HDR'... the technique just made it possible to get the pix I wanted.

I've used HDR on landscapes... with mixed results. Sometimes it seems to work... sometimes it doesn't (and I'm still learning how to tell the difference). Deep blue skies don't seem to work (for me, anyway...): it seems to go lighter and darker around anything, like trees or buildings, that appear against the sky. And strange things happen around telephone wires (as in your pic of the railway bridge).

Extreme conditions - stormy skies, sunsets - seem to take well to HDR. Like chilli powder in cooking... it's best used with discretion... :)

Yeah, HDR is fantastic for interiors also.

The dark/light problem around objects can be rectified by lowering the luminosity in the HDR editor, I've discovered this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.