Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
I have a speech impediment and the phone part of my iPhone is not usable to me. People on the other side can rarely understand me. Contrast this with phones from the 1980s which were very functional and useful for me. The way I describe it: if we were to sit and have coffee, you probably could understand 90% of what I said within a few minutes. With today's phone technology, not even my closest friends can understand more than about 50% of what I say over the phone.

I'm wondering if part of this might be solved with software in the "Phone" application itself. The other idea that might help is high quality microphones (either bluetooth or lightning connected).

One function that I really would like is side tone. I find not having side tone and not really hearing myself speak leads me to be uncomfortable and I wonder if it doesn't also lead me to speak differently.

I was just starting my quest to search for alternative Phone apps and microphones but thought I'd ask here for any pointers, suggestions, hints, etc.

I'm currently using an iPhone X, iOS 11.whatever.

Thank you for your help,
Perry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.