Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2022
Eversince the release of macOS Sonoma 14.2 beta, my favorite Markdown Editor MacDown is causing the CPU to ramp up to 99% immediately just with the app open, so I guess I have to get rid of it soon.

Since this app hasen't been updated since 2020 I am looking for an alternative. I wished somebody would fork it and continue to develop it or at least make it work with Sonoma. Imo, it's the best Markdown Editor for Mac out there. Most of the other editors I tried didn't cut it for me and my requirements. I am using it mostly for documentation (changelogs and writing guides on github).

For now I've settled with Visual Studio Code but I am missing some convenient features like buttons for formatting, like inserting links and pictures, etc.

So if anybody has some app suggestions that would be great.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Eversince the release of macOS Sonoma 14.2 beta, my favorite Markdown Editor MacDown is causing the CPU to ramp up to 99% immediately just with the app open, so I guess I have to get rid of it soon.

Since this app hasen't been updated since 2020 I am looking for an alternative. I wished somebody would fork it and continue to develop it or at least make it work with Sonoma. Imo, it's the best Markdown Editor for Mac out there. Most of the other editors I tried didn't cut it for me and my requirements. I am using it mostly for documentation (changelogs and writing guides on github).

For now I've settled with Visual Studio Code but I am missing some convenient features like buttons for formatting, like inserting links and pictures, etc.

It must be a Sonoma-related issue. I just downloaded MacDown (onto my M2 Mac Mini running Ventura) and have been testing it with my Joplin-created markdown files. MacDown is very responsive and well-behaved.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

iA Writer is really good, at least for my uses. I've been using it for probably a decade now with no complaints. I'm not sure if it would fit your needs but I think it's worth a look.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

I haven’t see a problem on 14.1.1. Perhaps it is just a beta issue?

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2022
The issue CPU issue appeared in Sonoma 14.2 on my Intel-based systems. I also noticed that the "Open recent" menu is no longer working. It has invisible entries. I hope it's a beta issue. Thanks for the iA writer suggestion. I'll check it out.

SoupyTwist

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
UK
I used to use MacDown but had to stop a while ago as there was a bug in dark mode that caused the preview pane to flicker black and white while typing.

I've since switched to Typewriter, it's a native app (hooray!) and you can switch between an editing pane, just a preview pane for viewing .md documents, or both side-by-side like in MacDown. It also has companion iPad and iPhone apps but I haven't tried those yet.

• Love
Reactions: drumcat and 5T33Z0

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2022
I used to use MacDown but had to stop a while ago as there was a bug in dark mode that caused the preview pane to flicker black and white while typing.

I've since switched to Typewriter, it's a native app (hooray!) and you can switch between an editing pane, just a preview pane for viewing .md documents, or both side-by-side like in MacDown. It also has companion iPad and iPhone apps but I haven't tried those yet.

Thanks a lot. Typewriter looks looks really, realy promising. The best alternative to MacDown I've come across so far!

Reactions: SoupyTwist

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2022
I use MacDown for github primarily as well. I tried Typora before, but it doesn't suit my needs. I like the split screen with markdown code on the left and a preview on the right. I will look into MiaoYan next. Thanks.

Reactions: drumcat

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2022
With the release of macOS 14.2 b4 the 100% CPU usage issue is gone luckily, so I can use it again. I've been using Typewriter in the meantime. I liked it, but some things about it drove me nuts.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.