Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocanalix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
United States
Always had a bad experience with hard-shell cases and dust/dirt gathering below the plastic, scratching up the phone – so I thought the silicone case would be ideal.

What I like about Apple's case:
  • Felt interior.
  • Minimal design.
  • No extra branding.
  • Good drop protection.
What I don't like:
  • Bottom of phone seems exposed to drops.
  • The price.
Any suggestions?

MMQY2_AV1_SILVER

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Don't get Apple's Silicone Case. They look and feel great new. But over time, the case will fall apart. I don't mean just few nicks here and there. It will literally split up and fall apart.

In the past, Apple replaced the case at Apple Store. But starting with 6S, they stopped offering free replacement. So I will no longer patronize Apple's case.

I am still researching, but I am leaning toward Caudabe Veil XT.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Don't get Apple's Silicone Case. They look and feel great new. But over time, the case will fall apart. I don't mean just few nicks here and there. It will literally split up and fall apart.

In the past, Apple replaced the case at Apple Store. But starting with 6S, they stopped offering free replacement. So I will no longer patronize Apple's case.

So long as you're looking for a case that protects against scratches and nothing else.

If you're looking for more protection from Caudabe, get The Sheath or better yet, The Synthesis.

Me? I prefer the PlayProof by Evolutive Labs. Slim and bombproof.

Last edited:
Reactions: nutmac

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

I completely agree, and had the exact same experiences. Not sure why they didn't just improve the actual case material/build-quality.

I'm in the same boat .. I like the look and feel of the Apple case, but can't seem to find another substitute, since I'm not getting another Apple case.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I'm in the same boat .. I like the look and feel of the Apple case, but can't seem to find another substitute, since I'm not getting another Apple case.
Yes, it's frustrating. I really love the feel of Silicone Case. Apple's Leather Case just does not feel as great to me, especially for vertical scrolling.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI

I would just like to point out that this happened to my wife's silicon case for her 6, both were bought same time at launch. Like 6 months ago when the case was just too bad and the silicon was really peeling off she called apple and they replaced it with over night shipping.

Guess I can't speak for everyone's experience but they at least sometimes still replace them

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
The only two credible alternatives I can suggest are the Zugu (formerly called ZooGue) Social case and the Evolutive Labs' Solid Suit faux leather case. They don't have mock ups for the iPhone 7 yet but they were great for the 6s and 6s Plus.

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.