Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desmond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Hi all,

My version of iPhoto (version 5) is constantly crashing to the point I can no longer import photos. I think it may be due to the amount of photos (10,000), or the fact that I've put them on an external HD.

So, I would like to know if anyone knows of an alternative to iPhoto?

Cheers

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
With that many photos and the need for an external hard drive, iPhoto became unreasonable for me as well. Adobe Lightroom would be worth considering, especially if you are affiliated with an educational institution and can get it for 1/3 the usual price. I've been quite pleased with it.

tilman

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Hi all,

My version of iPhoto (version 5) is constantly crashing to the point I can no longer import photos. I think it may be due to the amount of photos (10,000), or the fact that I've put them on an external HD.
Cheers
How about you give iPhoto '08 a try? I have about 14,000 photos in my library, and had problems with iPhoto '06 going off into beachball mode a lot when navigating through my library. iPhoto '08 has no such issues, plus the new events make managing your library much easier.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'd give Adobe Lightroom a shot. It's a very nice-looking application, but make sure your monitor is color-calibrated if you're going to be printing from it, as the program seems to apply Adobe's color profile in the editing part of the software, but not in the library view. I give it a three and a half out of five if you're using it to process RAW and have accurate colors and a five out of five if you're not doing any RAW processing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.