Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluxtransistor

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Hi MacRumors, I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help fix this strange battery problem:

I purchased a used A1095 15" PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz), and the battery always thinks it is fully charged or completely dead.

In System Profiler, the battery appears to have a preposterous 65Ah capacity and 0 cycles. If I ignore this and just look at the voltage figure to see when the Mac is dying, I have a decent machine with an hour of battery juice.

The system, however, seems to ignore this completely and only abide by the Full Charge/Remaining figures. This means that even as the battery dies and the voltage drops to 9.5V, the PowerBook thinks it has 35 hrs of battery life left and keeps running—to the point where the GPU is severely undervolted and the display output has weird artifacts.

Is there any way to reset/recalibrate the monitoring chip to give me a sane readout?

Attachments

• tempImagexkMeqi.png
    tempImagexkMeqi.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 152

fluxtransistor

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Ugh, that's not the news I was hoping for. Sounds like some glitch in the battery regulator chips of that era.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.