Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Howdie! First of all, hope you're having a great day.

I'm posting on this forum to ask your opinion. I have an MacBook Pro 13'' mid 2014: an older machine, but I actually still love it. For example, it doesn't have the keyboard problems of the current generation:rolleyes:
But as it seems to be, each gen has its own problems. My generation is doomed with staingate, which means the antireflective coating of the display 'peels' off. Luckily Apple admits their mistake and replaces the affected displays for free - sounds like a good solution, right? Apparently it's just a temporary solution. The replacements are the same, defective, displays and it just takes some time for the same problem to develop. I've had to replace the display TWO times already... Last time was six months ago, out of warranty. Fast forward six months and again the stains start to show up. Believe me, it's not a cosmetic problem, I’ve only cleaned it once, just with a moist microcloth (the one you get with the machine). My dad does the same thing with his non-retina from 2012 and the thing looks like new. Seriously. So I chatted with Apple and they tell me they'd again replace the display if I bring it in.
Ehmmmmmm, NO. I'm tired of it. I bought this computer thinking it would serve me a long time. With a screen replacement, it would mean I'd be able to enjoy it again for a year or so.
Heck, I feel like asking for a refund!! Or at least a machine that is not known for having this problem. What do you guys think? Do you have any tips on how to make my case stronger and win them over? Or am I just being too cocky?
Would love to hear some feedback!

Cheers ;):apple:

Lorenz
IMG_0330.jpeg

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It is an annoying problem, unfortunately one that can affect every single retina machine from 2012 to date :( AFAIK there isn't a permanent solution they can offer, or they would have by now. Your best bet is to take them up on the replacement.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Howdie! First of all, hope you're having a great day.

I'm posting on this forum to ask your opinion. I have an MacBook Pro 13'' mid 2014: an older machine, but I actually still love it. For example, it doesn't have the keyboard problems of the current generation:rolleyes:
But as it seems to be, each gen has its own problems. My generation is doomed with staingate, which means the antireflective coating of the display 'peels' off. Luckily Apple admits their mistake and replaces the affected displays for free - sounds like a good solution, right? Apparently it's just a temporary solution. The replacements are the same, defective, displays and it just takes some time for the same problem to develop. I've had to replace the display TWO times already... Last time was six months ago, out of warranty. Fast forward six months and again the stains start to show up. Believe me, it's not a cosmetic problem, I’ve only cleaned it once, just with a moist microcloth (the one you get with the machine). My dad does the same thing with his non-retina from 2012 and the thing looks like new. Seriously. So I chatted with Apple and they tell me they'd again replace the display if I bring it in.
Ehmmmmmm, NO. I'm tired of it. I bought this computer thinking it would serve me a long time. With a screen replacement, it would mean I'd be able to enjoy it again for a year or so.
Heck, I feel like asking for a refund!! Or at least a machine that is not known for having this problem. What do you guys think? Do you have any tips on how to make my case stronger and win them over? Or am I just being too cocky?
Would love to hear some feedback!

Cheers ;):apple:

Lorenz
View attachment 820145

I went through what you did with a 2013 model. I finally decided after the last display replacement they did to sell the machine before it happened again. Unfortunately that is probably going to be your best bet if you don’t want to just kick the can down the road again and again. Get it fixed and get it sold.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I luckily never had this problem with my mid-2014 15”, which I bought when it was released and sold in 2017 in mint condition. I used the hell out of that machine also, although I am physically gentle with my electronics. Apple had admitted the issue and the fact that they are still offering free replacements on a nearly 5 year old device speaks volumes of their commitment to customer service. Take the replacement and enjoy the machine. If not, I agree with the above... get it fixed, sell it, and upgrade.

Reactions: l0renz

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a mid-2014 15 and wasn't aware of this problem. The screen looks fine. My 2015 15 doesn't have this problem either. My son has a 2014 and a 2015 and his look fine too. So maybe this doesn't happen to all of them?

Reactions: Patcell

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Personally, I would take their offer. Once it came back shiny and new, I'd put a film screen protector on it. May not be ideal, but I usually have one on my laptops anyways.

I wish Apple would replace my laptop screen multiple times for free. Especially if the machine still runs and works great. Lol

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I wish Apple would replace my laptop screen multiple times for free. Especially if the machine still runs and works great. Lol

I know on the surface that it sounds cool. But if you are using your laptop as a business tool, having to repeatedly send it in and be without it for weeks at a time, isn't as great as it sounds after the first replacement.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
I have a mid-2014 15 and wasn't aware of this problem. The screen looks fine. My 2015 15 doesn't have this problem either. My son has a 2014 and a 2015 and his look fine too. So maybe this doesn't happen to all of them?

This is why I thought asking for a different machine, with a different model number :) I don't feel like it's coincidence it happens to three consecutive displays, so it must have something to do with this model... I know plenty of retina macbooks without this problem.
I guess I'll go with what Patcell said, I'll get the screen fixed and sell it.

PS: Thank you all for the many comments!

Reactions: Patcell

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I'd talk to Apple and offer them something they cannot do (i.e. will you take my computer back if I pay the difference to a new one?) and complain to no end about how it's your work computer, every time you need to send it in it's a pain etc. Maybe in the end you can get them to give you a 2017, or something.

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
I have a 2013 MBP 15", the first screen lasted about 4 years then was replaced under the repair program. However, the 2nd screen only lasted a year before peeling and this time, Apple said it was just outside of the repair program period and was not covered. I am however, stuck with this machine.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'd talk to Apple and offer them something they cannot do (i.e. will you take my computer back if I pay the difference to a new one?) and complain to no end about how it's your work computer, every time you need to send it in it's a pain etc. Maybe in the end you can get them to give you a 2017, or something.
I can’t see it, at best they’d probably swap OP to a refurbished 2015 (for inventory purposes). The 2017 machines are also affected by this issue though so even if they did it wouldn’t guarantee immunity from it happening again.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I can’t see it, at best they’d probably swap OP to a refurbished 2015 (for inventory purposes). The 2017 machines are also affected by this issue though so even if they did it wouldn’t guarantee immunity from it happening again.

2017 has other issues (keyboard...) but not staingate.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
This is why I thought asking for a different machine, with a different model number :) I don't feel like it's coincidence it happens to three consecutive displays, so it must have something to do with this model... I know plenty of retina macbooks without this problem.
I guess I'll go with what Patcell said, I'll get the screen fixed and sell it.

PS: Thank you all for the many comments!
It is awfully odd that it happened three times in a row after replacements. You'd think they would add some sort of reinforcement or change the coating in some way to prevent this. Maybe it is worth a shot to try and beg for an upgrade given the fact you've gone through multiple display replacements. If they refuse, I would ditch that machine once the display is fresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.